It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:10 pm

Hauptwerk status update

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

Hauptwerk status update

PostWed Oct 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Dear all,

Since we receive many emails and there has been lot's of discussion on the forum about Hauptwerk's progress we decided that we will post this status update so that there is a clear view of what is planned for the near and not so near future in Hauptwerk's progress.

Windows 7

• Windows 7 is due for public release on 22 October 2009.
• The current version of Hauptwerk (v3.23) doesn't install properly on Windows 7.
• Therefore we don't support v3.23 on Windows 7 and recommend that people should not try to install it under Windows 7.
• We intend to release a new version (v3.30) of Hauptwerk to add full Windows 7 support very shortly after the public Windows 7 release date (hopefully within a few days of that date).

Hauptwerk 3.30 information

• Will be a free upgrade to users of Hauptwerk v3.
• Adds full support for Windows 7.
• Also fixes all remaining known OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) compatibility issues.
• Has a massively enhanced polyphony management system, which effectively allows even very large and very wet sample sets to be handled much more effectively within a given polyphony limit setting, and/or by given computer hardware. For example, the (extremely large and wet) Sonus Paradisi Caen Surround set is now easily useable in full (tutti) on a modern quad-core computer, whereas previously even an 8-core computer could struggle.
• Therefore hardware requirements are effectively halved to run a given sample set.
• Now almost impossible to reach the point where new pipes are prevented from sounding due to polyphony overload.
• Polyphony limit now measured for stereo samples and polyphony management system does nothing until the full specified limit is reached. It only then takes effect (starts fading release samples) and allows an absolute maximum of about 1.5 times the specified limit to be reached before new pipes are prevented from sounding.
• This allows the Free and Basic Editions to achieve about twice the effective polyphony than previous Hauptwerk version.
• Because of the higher effective polyphony limit and massively enhanced polyphony management system, the Free and Basic Editions are now usable very effectively with larger and much wetter sample sets (and with larger registrations).
IMPORTANT: In exchange, so that an incentive remains to upgrade to the Advanced Edition, we have limited the maximum sample memory that the Basic Edition can load to 3 GB. The sample memory limit remains at 1.5 GB for the Free Edition. You can load sample sets of any size, but will need to disable some ranks (or choose other memory-saving rank options, such as disabling multiple loops) if the whole sample set requires more than 3 GB of sample memory.
• We feel this positions the three editions (Free, Basic and Advanced Editions) better in line with the smaller, medium-large and large organs respectively that they are intended for, with organs of those categories being much more usable in full on their corresponding editions.
• Some other minor enhancements in v3.30, particularly relating to usability and handling of the polyphony limit when testing polyphony or switching between Free and evaluation versions.

Now I'd like to discuss Hauptwerk v. 4 status/progress. Please note that we want to have Hauptwerk version 4 ready as much as you do and are doing our best to make this happen. Due to the magnitude of changes and the vast amount of improvements overall for usability (among other features) the work is taking perhaps a bit longer than we originally anticipated. While we wish we could have it available for you now, we feel that these changes will be very welcomed and worth the wait.

Here are some points that we'd like to inform users about...

Hauptwerk v4.0.0

• In development since early 2009.
• Release currently expected within 1st half 2010.
• A major focus is making Hauptwerk extremely easy and convenient to configure and use throughout, even for people with no computer/MIDI experience.
• Completely redesigned user interface, MIDI settings, 'MIDI learn', configuration wizards throughout, real-time intuitive MIDI and performance controls/info/diagnostics.
• Also focuses especially on features for organists ('playability', combination system, organ features independent of sample sets, etc.).
• Includes full native support for major digital organ MIDI implementations (e.g. Rodgers, Allen, Johannus, Content, Wyvern, Viscount, Ahlborn).
• Everything now very easily and conveniently controllable in real-time from touch-screen(s).
• Integrated MIDI recording/playback (independent of MIDI hardware, works fully with touch-screens).
• OS X Audio Unit support and also much easier means to apply VST/Audio Unit effects (e.g. convolution reverb plug-ins) to Hauptwerk's audio output (if works as planned..still pending testing).
• Many more major enhancements. (In fact, a significant proportion of the remaining enhancements in our database.)

We can't give more details about the exact enhancements that will be included in advance, so please be a bit patient with us on that and do not try to ask us to divulge further information other than what I have given here.

Support for convolution within Hauptwerk itself will not be included in v4.0.0 itself (sorry to those waiting for it - we felt usability/playability had to come first, and there's a lot of work involved in each), but it will then be the top priority enhancement, scheduled for v4.1.0 (below).

Hauptwerk v4.1.0

• Main focus will be to add support for high-performance convolution within Hauptwerk itself.
• Also other enhancements that relate to audio routing.
• Scheduled for 2nd half 2010.

We hope that this will answer everyone's questions with regards to when and what (to some degree) and that you now have a clearer understanding of how things currently look.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Uwe Mahnken

Re: Hauptwerk status update

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 4:39 am

Thank you, Brett :-)))

Uwe

engrssc

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 4:45 am

First, a large thank you for the information. In the true Hauptwerk fashion, these improvements are well worth waiting for. The end result will be right up there with fantastic.

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 7:08 am

Brett,

Many thanks for the updated information; a lot of exciting stuff and a clear roadmap about what's ahead for us.

Has a massively enhanced polyphony management system, which effectively allows even very large and very wet sample sets to be handled much more effectively within a given polyphony limit setting, and/or by given computer hardware. For example, the (extremely large and wet) Sonus Paradisi Caen Surround set is now easily useable in full (tutti) on a modern quad-core computer, whereas previously even an 8-core computer could struggle.

This is I think one of the best news for the whole Hauptwerk community I think for now; while the memory management allows us to load large sample sets within limited memory (able to load the Metz within a /3GB computer, Hins within 8GB), the processor had more and more problems handling large, wet sample sets and was becoming the limitation (even the more powerful proc is having problem and they are quite $$$)

Last week-end a professional organist came to my place and tried a few sample sets; I warned him about the Caen Surround (on my Quad-16Gb system) and in no time made my system crack/pop... since he likes a lot French Romantic organs, I loaded the Metz, explaining that with that one he would be able to play full Tutti without problem... to my surprise, within seconds my system began to crack/pop (don't recall what he was playing but it was a fast pace piece...) It was a first for me with the Metz and my QuadCore.

Because of that, while he's a serious "hauptwerk to be user", he wasn't so sure about buying a futur system, the cost of an i7 system being over budget and being unsure that even an i7 would handle the load. While for us, amateur organists the limitation of polyphony is harder to reach, a professional can easily reach it. You can count on me to announce him the good news today!

This is, as I said, a great and exciting improvement, opening the possibility to offer less expensive systems and at the same time, opening the possibility to use sample sets that were previously unuable (new market for the sample sets producers...)

Great work!
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

polikimre

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 7:18 am

It makes a lot of sense to me to add usability improvements before convolution, as the former helps to gain new markets for Hauptwerk. Eagerly awating...

BarryG

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 7:34 am

I continue to be impressed by the level of professionalism and productivity of the Hauptwerk team. One seldom has the pleasure, and it is a pleasure, to deal with software and support that is of such consistently high functionality, quality, and responsiveness.

Sign me up for the upgrades! and keep them coming! Thank you to your entire team, and especially to Martin and Brett for making such an interesting and pleasurable experience possible for me.

Barry Gerken

John T.

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 7:58 am

I assume Version 4.0.0 will be a paid for upgrade (like the jump from 2.xx to 3.xx). That's how it's normally done. Does that mean that 4.1.0 will be a free upgrade?

John

mdyde

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks, Francois/Imre/Barry.

I assume Version 4.0.0 will be a paid for upgrade (like the jump from 2.xx to 3.xx). That's how it's normally done.

Hello John,

Correct. (Except for the Free Edition, of course, which will still be free.)

Does that mean that 4.1.0 will be a free upgrade?

v4.1.0 itself will be a free upgrade for v4 users.

The intention is that the convolution functionality will be included at no additional cost if possible (unless it turns out that we need to pay a significant amount to license any technologies/components/patents, in which case there could conceivably be some additional cost we'd need to pass on by way of a separate licence option or something, but we want to avoid that if we can.) We'll look into it properly when we start work on the designs next year.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 10:29 am

What's current regarding using dual wide screen monitors?

Rgds,
Ed

Neil Odlin

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 12:50 pm

Brett, it is excellent to know where we are going and how long it will take as I can now prioritise my build accordingly.

Regards

Neil

3dOrganist

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Therefore hardware requirements are effectively halved to run a given sample set.

Wow. You guys are good. I heartily second the praise for your dedication and professionalism and look forward to the new releases.

Thanks!
Mark

toplayer2

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 7:13 pm

engrssc wrote:What's current regarding using dual wide screen monitors?

Hi Ed,

The current version of Hauptwerk supports widescreen aspect ratios - provided that the ODF is so designed. Clearly in the mainstream, wide format monitors are now the standard and 4:3 aspect monitors are quickly becoming dinosaurs. One problem is that the majority of touchscreens on offer are still 4:3, and equally evident is that essentially all Hauptwerk organs are designed for this format. At some point, wide touchscreens will reach critical mass and there will be much more demand for ODFs that oblige. The support for multi-touch in Win7 will be one very powerful factor in the rise in demand for touchscreens. This should be very good news for us.

Moving back to the topic, many thanks to Brett and Martin for sharing these glimpses into the future of Hauptwerk. Good stuff!

Joe

engrssc

PostThu Oct 08, 2009 7:33 pm

I concur with your observations, Joe. I was just tickling the "masses" to see which way the screens would be going. Have been looking for an add-on T/S for a 17" wide screen laptop. I know that's not the way to "do it", but my new Dell studio 17" w/s was given to me, of course without a touch screen. (BTW - this (new) Dell and others I have seen qualify for a free upgrade to Win7 Just have to pay shipping and handling) https://win7.dell.com

Seeing some quite thin add-ons prompted my above thinking. While this isn't exactly H/W update stuff, wide screen status may need some thinking (about) as well.

Rgds,
Ed

martinus

PostSat Oct 10, 2009 12:06 am

Hello Brett,

This is wonderfull good news!
Now my 6000 amd dual core 8GB computer will have a second youth so to speak.
All at once there will be more sample sets possible on my systems without hardware updates.

Thank you and keep up the good work,

Martinus C van Herk
Patience is a virtue

mcvanherk@gmail.com

fourniture_iv

PostSun Oct 11, 2009 9:43 am

I'm running HW 3.23 Advanced with the 64b Mac OS X beta. Will HW 3.3 include the Mac OS X 64b?
Next

Return to General discussion