It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

Bach piece for Easter--Trumpet and Organ

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

phillyorganist

Bach piece for Easter--Trumpet and Organ

PostFri Mar 16, 2012 9:00 am

Can anyone help me? I'm looking for a nice Bach Easter piece as we have a trumpet player accompaning the choir and organ at our Easter morning Mass. I came across a CD with trumpet/organ pieces by Bach, and there's one, and "Unspecified Fantasie in C Major" for organ/trumpet that sounds great to me. But, no BWV number or other way to identify exactly what piece this is or who did the transcription.

Can anyone identify this (#7 on the CD list of pieces), or better yet, direct me to a score that I can get together in the next 3 weeks?

Please HELP!

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus ... +Organ.htm

Or, if anyone has any nice suggestions for music for organ/trumpet (as a prelude before Mass), would be most appreciative. Something probably baroque, Bach, Handel, etc.
Jim

Morse

Re: Bach piece for Easter--Trumpet and Organ

PostFri Mar 16, 2012 9:57 am

It's the Bach Fantasia in C Major, BWV 570
It's public domain and easy to find online, but you'll have to ad lib a trumpet part.
Al Morse

OrganoPleno

PostFri Mar 16, 2012 10:18 am

phillyorganist wrote:Can anyone identify this (#7 on the CD list of pieces), or better yet, direct me to a score that I can get together in the next 3 weeks?

As noted, this is BWV 570.

You can find the score online at the Petrucci Music Library:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Fantasia_in_C_maj ... bastian%29

Two versions, one from the Bach Gesellschaft Edition and one newly typeset. Best to load both and compare.

Listening to the free sample of the CD, the Trumpet just takes portions of the top line as a Solo. If you listen to the whole track, it would be easy to note which sections are taken by the Trumpet.

phillyorganist

PostSat Mar 17, 2012 8:32 am

Got it! Bought the entire track and I'm all set. I love this piece--very "regal" in a sense. The trumpet line seems fairly straightforward, but I have to work through a few tricky pedal parts on the organ. Thanks to all.

Jim
Jim

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Mar 30, 2012 8:30 am

Hey Jim,

Funny that you will play that piece... you often email me asking what I'm learning... well I just finished learning it. While most rendition of the piece is played with a "light" registration, playing it with a large one (Tutti :shock: ), slower, completely change the atmosphere of the piece... powerful, massive... maybe Bach wouldn't be happy, but I sure have a lot of fun when playing it on 70 ranks organ!

Have fun
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

dralanrobinson

PostFri Mar 30, 2012 9:31 am

Hi,

This piece is two stave in my Bahrenreiter edition. Leads me to believe its for manuals ? You can of course use pedals.

best,

Alan

OrganoPleno

PostFri Mar 30, 2012 10:21 am

dralanrobinson wrote:This piece is two stave in my Bahrenreiter edition. Leads me to believe its for manuals ? You can of course use pedals.

The Peters Edition agrees that the piece is for manuals. This is probably the original version (check the New Bach Edition to confirm?). However, the Bach Gesellschaft Edition (which I cited above) does show a Pedal Part, and is freely available on-line for anybody who is interested.

pwhodges

PostFri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 am

Bärenreiter's edition is the New Bach Edition.

Paul

Return to Performance practice