It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 am

Books for beginning instruction on organ

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

RbtWagner

Books for beginning instruction on organ

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 9:31 am

Almost embarrassed asking this, but...
I really need a good beginning text to learn this instrument that I have loved all my life.
I can read music (basic) and most of my focus has been on guitar.
I purchased the little organ book by Flor Peeters and have spent a couple weeks on the first piece.
Love it. But, is that really the best place to start?
I want to make sure every minute of practice counts.
Must have some substance...no twinkle, twinkle!
Saw the David Sanger beginning organ books, but know nothing of them.
Suggestions PLEASE.

I know there is not replacement for Organ teachers, but they are very hard to find here.

Thanks,
Bob

deebos

Re: Books for beginning instruction on organ

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 1:11 pm

The Organ Manual by Roger Davis ..big but thorough

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Hello Bob,

Here's an option to consider. It's the "First Organ Book" from Wayne Leupold Editions.

http://www.wayneleupold.com/organ-teach ... ld-ed.html

It's contemporary, and it contains chapters on everything - technique, registration, manuals-only, pedal skills, manuals plus pedal, trios and lots of appropriate graded repertoire. As the name suggests, it aims at players who are starting out on the organ. It assumes a basic understanding of piano/keyboard skills and the ability to read music on two staves. The book is now out in its third edition, and it just keeps getting better.

You mention the Sanger volume - it's good for repertoire but it's a bit thin in relation to the earlier stages of development. It starts you off all right but then there's a sudden mighty leap into harder stuff, with a substantial gap in between. First Organ Book fills in that gap. Also, First Organ Book is founded firmly in the traditional legato style of playing, which many players will find to be familiar territory. Some of David Sanger's fingerings - though they work - are not so straight forward as he tends to incorporate earlier styles of fingering into his suggestions.

Also from Wayne Leupold is a wonderful little volume called "Easiest Hymns". This presents a number of hymn tunes arranged in trio texture - one note per voice for two hands plus pedal. It starts out using just two pedal notes - one for each foot. The most important yet most challenging aspect of organ playing is the ability to play three independent lines simultaneously. This tiny volume gives beginners a great start into this vital skill.

http://www.wayneleupold.com/organ-teach ... d-arr.html

These items are only available from the Wayne Leupold webstore.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

RbtWagner

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Organists manual at 66.00 from Amazon is a bit pricey for me right now.
Anyone have a used copy they might be willing to part with?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Leupold book at 38.00 from their website at 38.00 is a bit more do-able.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was able to pick up the Gleason on Ebay for 20.00 (i think that was a steal), but it is a bit too advanced for me at this time.

Really appreciate the suggestions.
Bob

jocr

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 11:12 am

I hated Czerny, could tolerate Dickinson, but it was only upon studying with Mme. Alice Ehlers at USC that I learned a secret: you must have absolute control over all your fingers, not just be a facile sight reader. One way is to play instruments like the piano or an organ with physical couplers to strengthen your hands (an old Estey pedal reed organ for $350 filled that bill nicely). The new flat-fingered, staccato style of playing I never warmed up to.

James Pressler

steve till

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Heh, I remember studying from the Clarence Dickinson book,
which was already old and considered out of date at the time.
One thing I remember quite clearly was in the section on
registration, if you don't have an adequate supply of unison
Diapasons, you can always couple down the French Horn.
And yes, I have actually done that...

Sandy Hackney

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 10:03 am

Bob,

In addition to the other fine suggestions made already I might suggest you look at the website of The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music. The have a multiyear curriculum with pieces for each stage. Further, they use a Graded Anthology of Organ with the first volume being a A Practical Guide to Playing the Organ and subsequent volumes containing graded music linked to the first. Very fine. All available through the ABRSC shop or the publisher Cramer Music.

Good luck!

Sandy Hackney
Easton, NY

Return to Performance practice