It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:05 pm

Console position / back to the choir

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

michelg

Console position / back to the choir

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Hello,

I have a question regarding performance practice and console position.

I've recently taken a position as accompanist & director for two small choirs at a local church. For much of the repertoire, I'm using the electronic piano. The instrument faces away from the choir, so I have my back to them.

The other choirs have both an accompanist and director, with the director typically standing in front of the piano (away from the keyboard). I've asked about turning around the piano so I can look at the choir, give cues, etc. The other accompanist feels that it's necessary to have the music desk and director visually in line, and would like to keep it as-is.

My experience has been that I spend very little time actually looking at the music during Mass. When I'm at the organ console, my eyes are mostly looking at the sanctuary to see how long I have left for a hymn, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. I'm finding it challenging to direct with my back.

Michel

telemanr

Re: Console position / back to the choir

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 10:06 pm

On the organ we use a mirror on top of the console on the right side and the director is behind and also to the right. As long as I can see his hand motion peripherally in the mirror I'm fine. I don't have to be looking directly at him.
The piano (upright) has the pianist facing forward toward the choir with one's back to the congregation. The director can then stand to the left or right and slightly ahead. I can then see his movement again peripherally. That's really all I find I need.
Rob Enns

Return to Performance practice