It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:32 pm

Baroque ornamentation

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

amateurorganist

Baroque ornamentation

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Does anyone know of any resources available on the internet or books on Baroque ornamentation and how to perform them. I can't seem to find anything. I am keen on how to play them properly rather than make them up as I go along!

Any help in this area would be much appreciated. Thank-you! :)

ernst

Re: Baroque ornamentation

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 8:39 pm

If you search for "J.S. Bach's Ornament Table" you'll get many hits.

E.g.:
http://www.pennuto.com/music/jsb_ornm.htm
http://www.iment.com/maida/familytree/h ... tation.htm
http://www.claudioferrarini.it/immagini ... ts%20.html

Well, this is J.S. Bach then, but I assume it is a good start for (German) baroque music.
I use it often (because I tend to forget the details).

Ernst

adri

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 6:48 pm

If you can read Dutch, Ton Koopman's book Barokmuziek is excellent.

Below I offer what I learned from the book plus my own insights:

Brief synopsis: there are no hard rules, and things differed a lot from place to place, not unlike today, although in some sense the organ schools that came about in the 19th and 20th century leveled (=equalized) the playing field quite a lot.

In my view, the age-old tension between popularism E.g. Lefebure-Wely, Vrigil Fox, E.Power Biggs, Feike Asma, martin Mons, Mr. Carpenter, and many others) and, for lack of a better word, conservatism (e.g,. Gustav Leonhardt, the early music movement, the 19th C. Ceacilians, etc.) persists. Both have their pros and cons.

Ornamentation: a hard thing to put your finger on. Many composers and books on music performance and theory continually wrote down how ornaments were to be played, on the one hand to lay down the rules for newcomers, but also a bit to keep on correcting what was perceived as a lack of proper tradition.

On tempo: also widely differing opinions. Witness e.g. Koopmans hurried playing versus many others, who also are in the know about baroque music. Koopman's teacher Gustav Loonhardt never played THAT fast.

The old complaint that young organists played too fast still exists today.

French style inagalite: far more widespread in Europe than you may think.

Watch out for many 19th C. editions of baroque music: many times pedal lines have been added where they did not exists before, or where the function of the pedal was rather limited. Pay attention to regional organ specifications.

Finger settings: Sweelinck was known to have his "OWN" fingersetting, unlike others. Some old scores have finger settings written in. Koopman argues against lavishly copying them, but instead to learn from them. Each hand has a different size, and again, regional differences costed. The modern style of scale up: 123-thumb-underneath-12345, etc. was not used until later.

Pedal technique: my friend Stef Tuinstra is convinced that toe-heel was already used in the baroque and seems to have found evidence of it as well; also, some passages cannot be easily played by a dogmatically strict toe-toe approach.

Improvisation: yes, yes, and yes. Many scores basically presume you to improvise your way through them with ornamentation, instead of playing long boring chords held over an entire bar's length: embellish!

Embellishment, coluratura was the buzz word. This is the art of not overdoing it (although some surviving score seems to be basically one long trill): grace, subtlety, etc. are all part of the picture.

Many organists seem shy in front of their socre and play the notes like robots. No way in the barok itself: you make the music come alive with embelisshments.

Rubato: accelerando, ritentando: yes, yes and yes: never approach the music with metronome precision.

So many old scores with "a tempo" markings.

Manualiter music: single keybaord music? Many old harpsichord scores have the left hand part written in such fashion that it can all be played independently with the left hand; thus, ideally, the right hand should be played on a 2nd manual with a different, stronger registration. The same holds true for organ music. Study the structure of the music carefully: especially in variations this structure needs to be keenly observed. It will become very obvious once you observe.

Registrations: in many countries it was customary to add reeds before mixtures. We all know about the French Grand Jeu: without mixtures, but with reeds and Cornet engaged. We already know about the richness of reeds in N-Germany and France. In pre-baroque and even baroque music, use of 4' stop for e.g. variation is OK.

So-called 8' Equal verbot: nonsense. Depended on the organ's wind supply. In Holland, a trio of 8' stops was prescribed: Baarpijp, Quintadena, Vox Humana. In Germany, the organs in the south had often a plethora of 8' stops, the Kreszow organ abounds with 8' stops, which combine beautifully.

My own rule: registration according to the music and organ: what works, what doesn't. I can never be dogmatic about it. Also, I cannot force French baroque organ music onto a North-German baroque organ.

Feel to add and/or correct.

ernst

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Adri,

Many thanks for excellent summary.
I'll have a look for this book of Ton Koopman - thanks for the tip.

Ernst

amateurorganist

PostSat Dec 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Thank-you Adri for your advice!

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 1:10 am

Be sure to have a look at Frederick Neumann's book:

Ornamentation in Baroque and Post-Baroque Music - With Special Emphasis on J.S. Bach

http://www.amazon.com/Ornamentation-Bar ... 0691027072

You would never know so many possibilities exist. I own this book (which is 2 1/2 inches thick) and have used it for years.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

ernst

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 pm

B. Milan wrote:Be sure to have a look at Frederick Neumann's book:

Ornamentation in Baroque and Post-Baroque Music - With Special Emphasis on J.S. Bach

http://www.amazon.com/Ornamentation-Bar ... 0691027072

You would never know so many possibilities exist. I own this book (which is 2 1/2 inches thick) and have used it for years.

I had a look at this book - impressive! Many thanks for the link, very useful.

Ernst

deWaverley

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 1:03 pm

adri, thank you - it is so generous of you to take the time to prepare that summary for us, which was very interesting.

Actually, in some ways I wish you could buy two-page books written in the style of your summary - i.e. with all the padding stripped out, and just giving the core information!

And certainly, most television documentaries could be 10 minutes or less! . 8)

deW

adri

adri

PostWed Jan 02, 2013 5:39 pm

mnorgaard

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 8:45 am

The small table of ornament's that Bach wrote out in the Clavierbüchlein vor Wilhelm Friedeman Bach is the only ornamnet table that he ever drew up. The fundamental thing to remember is that ornamentation in the baroque era was largely improvised and it is unlikely that Bach or anyone else would have performed them exactly the same on different occasions. One should wonder how a present day scholar can go on for 600+ pages about a subject that was never a set of "rules" to begin with.

amateurorganist

PostSun May 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Rubato: accelerando, ritentando: yes, yes and yes: never approach the music with metronome precision.

Pachelbel Ciacona in E minor
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... music/8871

I tried it in this performance, adri, (incidentally before you wrote your posting) and it did seem to give a bit of ebb and flow to the work. Not sure if it is right or not (I don't usually do it too much) but I do agree there is nothing more boring by hearing organ performances or Bach, Buxtehude or Pachelbel in strict tempo without any give or take at all.

Return to Performance practice