It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

Dissertation on pre-1800 English organs and its music

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

adri

Dissertation on pre-1800 English organs and its music

PostWed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 pm

https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... emId=16344

Available as a pdf

TITLE:
The eighteenth-century English organ voluntary: a critical and analytical study with a new edition of four voluntaries by Henry Heron by Marc Antone Godding - Author

Other Titles
Voluntaries

Description
Typescript and ms. (photocopy) --- "A listing of eighteenth-century voluntaries": leaves 93-105. --- "A new edition of four voluntaries from Henry Heron's Opus 1": leaves 116-147. --- Vita. --- Thesis (D.M.A.)--University of Rochester, 1971.
Abstract
It is the intent of this dissertation to provide a thorough investigation of the English organ voluntary as it flourished in the eighteenth century. Related to this central topic, the following subjects are also examined: the eighteenth century English organ and its position in the musical life of the period, the evolution and use of the voluntary, and performance procedures relating to the eighteenth-century voluntary. The subject matter of this project first came to my attention when I was made aware of the original version of a longstanding favorite composition by William Woland, Introduction and Toccata in G major. In the edited form which I first knew, the piece had possessed an awkward pedal part and was of considerable difficulty. The original version, with which I later became acquainted, had no pedal part at all, was considerably less complicated (although by no means easy), and bore the title Voluntary, op. 1 no. 5. Moreover, whereas the edited version was heavy and pompous, the original version was buoyant and charming. In the course of an investigation of more of these "manuals only" pieces for a lecture-recital, I learned of an incredibly small amount of information was available concerning the origins and style of this unusually large body of music. Two factors, then, motivated the present study. The fondness I had developed for this eighteenth-century pieces called "voluntary" stimulated in me the desire to learn more about them, and the disclosure of this relatively unknown territory of organ literature offered an area of fresh research.

pointyflute

Re: Dissertation on pre-1800 English organs and its music

PostThu Jan 31, 2013 2:53 am

Thanks for this. I've downloaded the PDF. Lots of interesting stuff about the English organs of the time as well as voluntaries.

Cheers, pointy

Return to Performance practice