It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 pm

Practicing BWV 618--O Lamm gottes, Unschuldig

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

phillyorganist

Practicing BWV 618--O Lamm gottes, Unschuldig

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 5:44 pm

I came across this in the Orgelbuchlein and would like to work it up for Lent. I'm reading a bit about it, and some comments on Contrebombarde, and I want to practice it correctly. But wondering if there is something I should know about the cantus firmus, which is in the "alto" line apparently.

Is there something about changing manuals, or playing one hand on two manuals simultaneously, when playing the alto line? Or is it practiced with both hands on the same manual, and primarily playing the cantus firmus (alto line) with the right hand except occasionally with the left hand where impractical to play it with the right?

Jim
Jim

phillyorganist

Re: Practicing BWV 618--O Lamm gottes, Unschuldig

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 pm

I got my answer. Apparently this piece can be played using the "thumbing" technique for the cantus firma (which is the alto line). Though not easy, one can use the thumb to play ths c.f. on a different manual. This enables the c.f. to be on a separate registration heard more distinctly.
Jim

Sander

PostTue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 pm

interesting. I never considered that. It is also possible that if you just use your thumb on one manual the articulation is already sufficient to hear the voice.

adri

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 10:33 am

I'm not sure which edition of BWV 618 you have, but in my Barenreiter edition, the cantus firmus is in the pedal, and the manual parts could be played on two separate manuals, as they are written independent of each other.

phillyorganist

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 3:21 pm

I think the primary cantus firmus starts in the pedal but is followed like a canon in the "alto" line.

Can someone correct me? Someone suggested that one could have a neutral (mabye a 8' principal) registration in the pedal, and a reed (clarinet or vox humanae?) in the alto "thumbed" line. Alternatively, one could possibly suggest two reeds--one in the pedal and one thumbed for the alto line, though I'm not sure how this would come off to the listener.
Jim

Sander

PostFri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi Jim,

Just played this piece again today. The trick is to choose the right stop so the Alto is audible. I had to change from a flute to a Prestant to make that happen. The pedal can then also be played by a Prestant or possible by a read. The Alto indeed follows the Bas. This is a style more often used by Bach to express the need to follow Jesus and therefore should be clearly audible.

Return to Performance practice