It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

Divisional Pistons--Include Pedal Stops?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

hiker54

Divisional Pistons--Include Pedal Stops?

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Hello all,

I am setting up divisional pistons on several of my sample sets (scoped pistons). Do you include the pedal division stops with your divisonal pistons? There are pro's and con's either way. I have not played a classical pipe organ in many years and don't remember what was provided on those that I have played. The church pipe organ (2/10 mostly Kimball) that I played for 27 years (destroyed in arson fire in 1998) had 5 divisionals for each manual that included the pedal stops and 5 generals. What are your preferences???

Any thoughts,

Regards,

Bob

OrganoPleno

Re: Divisional Pistons--Include Pedal Stops?

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 3:55 pm

hiker54 wrote:Do you include the pedal division stops with your divisonal pistons?

Sure! The Pedal Division is one of the most interesting, and it surely deserves Divisional Pre-Sets of its own.

I'm using a 3-stack of the Canada Midi-Works Keyboards, with 20 pistons each... the left block of five pistons (on each manual) gives me 15 general combinations. The middle block of five gives me 5 divisionals for each of the three manuals. For the right-most block of five pistons, I use the lower manual for Pedal Pre-Sets, and the upper manual for Pre-Sets for a possible extra division (if the Organ has a fourth manual). The five on the middle manual I use for controlling floating keyboard assignments, and for a couple of couplers.

For full details, see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10012

Enjoy!

hiker54

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 4:53 pm

I guess I wasn't clear enough. My question was do you include pedal stops with your manual divisionals. For example ----Great manual divisional also controls pedal stops----Swell manual divisional also controls pedal stopd---etc., etc. The pipe organ that I played for 27 years was set up this way. My question----is this common practice?

Bob

ajt

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Divisionals are for that division only. Anything that controls stops across more than one division is a general.

Typically though, English romantic and American Classic organs have a pedal/great combination drawstop/control that links the pedal and great divisionals together, so if you press Great 3 you get Pedal 3 as well.
Adrian

ldeutsch

PostFri Jun 07, 2013 11:22 am

For completeness:

On theater organs, the pedal stops were often captured by the accompaniment division pistons and so there are no separate pedal divisional pistons. Also, the great divisional pistons often were used to control the tremulants in addition to the great stops. This was the practice on most Wurlitzer instruments.

My own theater organ has completely reassignable pistons, but I usually scope them so that the great pistons control the tremulants. On the other hand, I prefer separate pedal division pistons so I usually scope my accompaniment divisional pistons to control only the accompaniment stops. Its nice to be able to change my mind and redefine things!

Les

Return to Performance practice