It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am

Temperament

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

dralanrobinson

Temperament

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 3:41 am

Dear All,

I have noticed that some organs sound "sweeter" when tuned to temperaments other than equal temperament. No surprise really.
I have a 10 channel (5 stereo pairs) setup as advised by Paramount in a previous post. I suspect that the signal mixing is improved with mean temperaments in certain keys.
This led me to experiment with Bach-Lehman which is a well temperament and not too far removed from equal temperament. This works reasonably for the more complex keys whilst imparting , in my view, less mixture dissonance in the early music and Bach fugues etc.
I have used this temperament with Salisbury (apologies to purists), with a perceptible albeit small improvement .
Personal preference, but worth trying.

ATB

Alan

cthart

Re: Temperament

PostWed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 am

English Cathedral Temperament is a subject "researched" during the installation of Taylor & Boody Opus 65 in Grace Church, NYC.

George Taylor was interviewed and this one of the subjects that came up. On this page http://music.gracechurchnyc.org/the-bic ... l-organ-2/ there is a link to the interview as well as a copy of the tuning chart.

Maybe some HW expert can make this temperament available? If someone can point me to how to do it, I could do it!

Cheers,

Colin

Return to Performance practice