It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 am

What's your usual practice footwear?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

cvmoreau

What's your usual practice footwear?

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 8:46 pm

For those of you who may have seen the recent update to my thread "My first baby steps" in the photo section, you know that, after a year and a half since starting out in HW, I was finally able to add a pedalboard to my console last week. Some of you may even remember that I returned to the organ after a hiatus of about 45 years, having played through high school and then not again until I was 63. So, playing the pedals is almost a totally new experience instead of a relearning process. I have lots of good instructional materials, not only works that were recommended by many of the good folks, here, but also quite a bit more that I've found on my own. I was really afraid that this aspect of learning might be a frustrating chore, but, instead I find it quite enjoyable -- although it certainly does have its moments of frustration!

I retired last month, and am just beginning to discover all the wonderful things that I can do with my newly acquired free time. Certainly, one of those things is spending more time at practice. When I'm in the house, all day, as I often am, I find that I actually prefer several shorter periods at the console during the day, rather than one long one. The only thing that annoys me about several practice periods per day, however, is those new Organmaster shoes!

Honestly, I hate them. I've always despised oxfords, anyway. I'm most definitely a loafer (or house slipper!) person. Oxfords are uncomfortable to me, I hate having to sit down in a chair and tie them every time I put them on, and even though the Organmaster shoes are more flexible than a street shoe, they feel clunky on my feet. Now, don't lecture me, because I already know all the reasons we're supposed to wear organ shoes -- the high heel, the flexibility, the suede like sole. But, often I just want to go over to the console, sit down, and play! Is it terribly, terribly wrong to do so with a different shoe -- at least some of the time?

This got me to wondering, am I the only person on the forum who feels this way? :? So, I thought I'd just ask. In general, do most of you wear organ shoes for you daily practice, and if not, just what do you wear?

-Chris

oliver_mayes

Re: What's your usual practice footwear?

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Chris,
I'm with you. I wear slip on shoes during the day. I generally play the organ around 20-30 minutes four or five times a day (I'm retired also). I simply play in my stocking feet because I don't like taking the organmaster shoes off and on that many times.
However, if someone is coming over to hear me play or I am going to play outside the home, I spend several hours with the shoes on so I can look like I know what I'm doing.
Ollie Mayes

amateurorganist

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 9:52 pm

I wear a pair of slippers. They are lighter than normal shoes.

dralanrobinson

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 3:19 am

Hi All,

I purchase some elasticated shoe lace like material from the local sewing shop. hey presto I have slip ons. Mostly play in slippers , stocking feet. however the Heels on the organmasters help with heel toe technique.
Home organs have lighter pedal boards with not a lot of resistance (generally). Problem is that when in church, I am used to slippers / stocking feet so organmaster cause problems for the first part of practice. Its a bit like all toes/ toe nad heel/economy of movement etc. at the end of the day if it works and you can articulate then it doesn't matter.

its all down to pedagogues. I find this in singing. I dont object to breathing or singing exercise. However, I dont
like shoulder/hip/arm wobbling or sirens or blowing out imaginary candles. Sometimes teachers need a workplan to face the world. Personally if you can do it , with or without or by any method, then go for it.

alan

RichardW

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 6:38 am

I started with socks. That gave perfect feel of the keys for a beginner. However, I realised that heel and toeing was really only going to be possible with proper heels.

I tried with my usual outdoor shoes. That failed because I could not locate the gaps between the sets of black notes and I could all too easily hit two or more notes at once. So I took the plunge and acquired some Organmasters.

Like some here, I find the Oxford shape and the laces inconvenient. (Like Alan I had wondered about elastic laces. Now I know it works I might try it out!)

Strangely, when you have acquired a bit of technique then playing with outdoor shoes becomes a possibility. It is all down to the precise angle of attack and it took me some time to do this naturally.

So, for the moment, it is usually Organmasters - all the while moaning about how inconvenient it is if you want to practice in lots of short sessions rather than one long one.

Regards,
Richard

cthart

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 am

Organmasters. It takes me maybe 10-15 seconds to put them on which is much less time than then time it takes me to go to the Church, turn on the organ, adjust the bench, set my memory level on the sequencer and place my music on the desk.

Even in a home situation with an instant-on organ, that would be quick enough for me to practice with them on.
And having got used to them, they allow for much more accurate pedalling than in socks.

dralanrobinson

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 8:33 am

Hi,

just been musing re OM shoes. My organ teacher (FRCO) doesnt wear them and I would say that the majority of RCO tutors at St Giles London don't wear them except perhaps in recital and then only a proportion. I wont mention names but you might be surprised. It would be good if slip ons were available. dance shops used to do them in cuban heel. If you don't normally wear lace up shoes then its a problem. The other problem is marching off to communion in "high heels"

Alan

pat17

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 10:08 am

Socks as well for me. :wink:

Since I'm playing - or trying to play - baroque and French classic only, I don't really need to use my heels... :mrgreen:

sesquialtera

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 12:56 pm

This summer, we had several days with more than 35°C (95 F°)
Wearing short, I didn't wan't to wear shoes ... (and socks)
so I tried to play pedalboard with nude feet ...
:( I don't like it at all (looseness and mistakes) !

Since I'm playing - or trying to play - baroque and French classic only, I don't really need to use my heels...

( why not playing without thumbs !!! :evil: Organ playing is not so easy,
why do you want to complicate it by playing without using something you've got ? )
Try to play this baroque masterpiece without heels ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK7AyUd7cOU
( Bach's fugue in D bwv532 - specially from 4'30 to the end ! )

pat17

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 1:55 pm

sesquialtera wrote:
Since I'm playing - or trying to play - baroque and French classic only, I don't really need to use my heels...

( why not playing without thumbs !!! :evil: Organ playing is not so easy,
why do you want to complicate it by playing without using something you've got ? )
Try to play this baroque masterpiece without heels ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK7AyUd7cOU
( Bach's fugue in D bwv532 - specially from 4'30 to the end ! )

Don't worry, I don't intend to reach that level during my current life... We can re-discuss it in 300 or 400 years, maybe... :mrgreen:

Doug S.

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Sox
Doug

BachsFugue

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 12:20 am

I prefer my Organmasters, but since I won't walk in them I can be caught in my socks. The shoes are really much better.

Before I got the Organmasters I had a nice pair of loafers. They were great until my schnauzers thought they were leather chews! :roll:
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

WWillmott

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi, everyone,

I would say I play in sock feet the majority of the time as I have never found a pair of shoes that I liked (and I've tried quite a few, slip-ons, lace-ups and so on). Problem is, this forces me to toe a lot where a heel would be better - this is because I have slightly shorter legs than what I would consider to be ideal for the distance from bench to pedalboard :oops: - I suppose THAT is a totally other subject for a Forum discussion! I have never tried Organmaster shoes.

I do remember being told that church organists (which I was some 12 years or so ago) joke that playing the organ in sock feet is how God intended it to be (definitely tongue-in-cheek!).

Walter

sonar11

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Socks all the way. I've never found it a problem when playing more advanced pieces. I've tried organmaster shoes and my opinion is that it's just like wearing winter gloves on your fingers when playing.... why in the world would anybody take all that sensitive feedback away from your feet by wearing shoes? Besides, as a pretty tall guy, I would have to put the bench on 5 inch stilts if I didn't want those nasty shoe heals scraping the pedalboard all the time :shock:

1961TC4ME

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Socks as well, shoes feel clumsy to me and I have trouble finding and feeling between the correct notes on the pedalboard with shoes due to the lack of feel. I suppose if I forced myself to wear a good broken in pair of proper organ shoes I would get used to it though.

I do however wear gloves for the keyboards, camaflage, that way nobody can see all the mistakes I'm making! :mrgreen:

Marc
Next

Return to Performance practice