It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am

What keeps you motivated?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

cdekter

Re: What keeps you motivated?

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 5:28 am

Thank you Marc, Ernst and Arwen for your replies; your writings are most encouraging to me. I have to agree that all the hard work and time that I put into building my console have been key in preventing me from letting it go so easily! As the saying goes, a thing of beauty is a joy forever (even if you don't play on it). Of course my console is far from the most beautiful or sophisticated, but it's mine :) At the same time, in spite of the incredible realism enabled by Hauptwerk, there's nothing quite like playing the real thing. Particularly, tracker instruments have flummoxed me in recent years simply because I'm not used to that kind of touch any more after years of practising only on my own console. So it seems important to maintain the skill of playing a variety of instruments.

Arwen, I think you are right that having a teacher can be a great asset. I think feedback is key in continuing to make progress. I have definitely found that plugging away at it by myself for months on end is not a winning strategy. I am intrigued at your idea of organising (hah!) a meet up here in Melbourne. I think it would be great for users of Hauptwerk to get together. I did go to an event a few years ago where some Hauptwerk organs were being demonstrated at a suburban church, but nothing much seemed to come from that particular occasion. I have in this last decade or so been a fairly active participant in the organ scene here in Melbourne, but regrettably it seems like things have cooled the past few years. I think anything we can do to encourage each other can only be good.

Best regards,
Chris

arwenhur

Re: What keeps you motivated?

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 4:13 am

Hello Chris, and Hauptwerk users in Melbourne (and all over the world!)
As has been discussed in this topic, it is important to be able to perform to give us a goal and motivation. Sometimes a deadline for learning a piece can propel us along as well!
I invite you (sorry people not in Melbourne, Australia, I am not able to pay your airfares) to perform at a concert at my house to be held in Feb/March 2014. Of course audience members are welcome as well, but the emphasis will be on performance of practised pieces. All levels of ability will be welcome. We will combine the concert with a Hauptwerk gathering and afternoon tea. Please PM me if you would like to participate. I will post further details closer to the time, but hopefully early announcement will enable people to choose and practise some music.
Arwen
Previous

Return to Performance practice