It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:29 pm

BuxWV 211

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

mkc1

BuxWV 211

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi All,
I've been practising BuxWV 211 (Nun Komm, der Heiden Heiland) using music I downloaded from IMSLP. I've noticed that in a number of recordings I've heard, there are e-naturals in the left hand in measure 7, rather than the e-flats in my score. Going back to IMSLP I looked at the scanned version rather than the typset PDF version from which I've been playing and it appears that in that version, the left hand (which is written in the alto clef) does indeed have e-naturals in the left hand in measure 7. Does anyone know which might be more correct?
Thanks!
Michael

Patrick Larhant

Re: BuxWV 211

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 11:11 pm

The Barenreiter edition has a e naturals, but there is a flat sign between brackets just over the first e : looks like the editor too is unsure if these two e are natural or flat ! Sorry, not a great help ! :D

mkc1

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Thank you, Patrick. Given the lack of anything more certain, I won't feel too badly playing whichever I feel like at the time...usually e-flat I think.

icrutt

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 5:59 pm

My understanding (somewhat superficial, I'm sure) is that the transmission (i.e. the sources) for most of Buxtehude's organ works is rather problematic - multiple, conflicting sources, by many different hands, and few by the Buxtehude himself. This means that sometimes editors just don't have the evidence to decide what was the composer's intention!

My approach would be to (a) try and decide what I thought worked best musically, and (b) see whether the recordings I could access agreed.

But whatever you do, have fun - Buxtehude is great! :)

polikimre

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 7:58 pm

It can also be the case that one version may work only in certain temperaments.

mkc1

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks icrutt and polikimre. The temperament issue had crossed my mind. I figured than neither an equally tempered e or e-flat were what Buxtehude heard when he played his prelude. I suppose I could play around with other temperaments and see if that makes one or the other of the notes obviously unsuitable. I'm inclined to just play the e-flat because I prefer the sound of it though if it isn't obviously wrong. Thanks again!

Return to Performance practice