It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 pm

Registering Solos at 16'

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

marcus.reeves

Registering Solos at 16'

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 9:52 am

I recently dug out Rheinberger's Cantilene from Organ Sonata No. 11 and I have been experimenting with registration.

My immediate choice for the melody (using Salisbury) was the Swell Vox Humana with the tremolo. I then tried the Solo 8' Flute with the tremolo. However, the sound I most preferred was the 16' Cor Anglais plus the tremolo. This led me to consider whether there is anything technically wrong registering such solo lines with a 16' stop, the melody consequently being heard an octave lower than written.

One option is to use the Octave and Unison Off so the melody sounds at 8' pitch, but (besides the need to alter some notes because of compass) there were some fairly nasty sounding notes with the tremolo!

The solo melody can still be clearly heard, but I was just wondering what other people thought? Is this practice frowned upon?
Best wishes,
Marcus

dralanrobinson

Re: Registering Solos at 16'

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 11:55 am

Dear All,

Strangely enough, only this morning, whilst extemporising, I soloed out a hymn melody and played the melody an octave lower on a great diapason. Sounded good to me and something that I have heard theatre buffs do quite a lot. If it sounds good then why not ? As Anne Marsden Thomas told me , you are in control !

Alan

marcus.reeves

Re: Registering Solos at 16'

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 2:47 pm

I agree. If it sounds good, why not?

I'm used to people using 16' stops an octave higher and 4' stops an octave lower, and I do it myself, but I've never played an 8' solo at 16' pitch.

I'm intrigued as to whether thing is something other people do?
Best wishes,
Marcus

Return to Performance practice