It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:44 am

Available organists in the PNW??

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

notdefined

Available organists in the PNW??

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 3:10 pm

My music space is going to be dedicated on August 10th and while there have been volunteers for a few instruments and vocals, I've yet to find anyone able to properly play the Hauptwerk instruments. I am in not practiced enough and will need a couple of years before I would even try to play for an audience, but what about someone out there in Hauptwerk land, preferably in northwest Oregon or southwest Washington. I would like to introduce Hauptwerk to these people as an alternative to some of the atrocities that are currently being placed in churches because they cannot afford a proper pipe organ. The space is sounding wonderful, in fact I put on one of Fazioli's performances of the Widor Toccata and stood in the middle of the room with goosebumps. I may be able to come up with some compen$ation, but not very much because this whole project has tapped my savings and retirement pretty severely. We are located in the village of Naselle in the southwest corner of Washington State, about an hour north of Portland and 2 south of Seattle in the Columbia River valley. Except for the fact that there are next to no commercial establishments in the vicinity, it is a breathtaking place to visit, entirely appropriate to great organ music.

So if this piques your interest, drop me a note: notdefined -at- gmail

jkinkennon

Re: Available organists in the PNW??

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 8:33 pm

My own playing is very "intermediate", but I'm hoping a friend or two in this area will volunteer. I would like to attend on August 10th and hope that will be possible.

notdefined

Re: Available organists in the PNW??

PostWed Apr 30, 2014 11:03 pm

JW
That would be fantastic. I do hope that you could make it here even if your friends do or do not volunteer. We are out Ocean Beach Highway from Longview pretty much across the river from Astoria. Needless to say it is lovely here. If you can make it there is an organ concert on Puget Island on the 3rd:

May 3, 2014 (6:30pm): Pipe Organ Recital by Jeff Fox
This is a benefit concert with a freewill offering to help send kids to camp.
Mr. Fox will perform a varied program on the church's 1885 Hilborne Roosevelt pipe organ.
He will also perform numbers on their Steinway piano and harpsichord.
Our Saviour's Lutheran Church, 549 SR 409, Puget Island, WA

You get to Puget Island from Cathlamet, about 25 miles west of Longview. I've not seen this organ, but the photos of it look beautiful, it seems they have taken very good care of it.

I'll be passing through Vancouver tomorrow to drop a friend at PDX, so I'll wave. :)

Return to Performance practice