It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:54 pm

How long since you last played or no playing right now?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

How long since you last played or no playing right now?

PostTue Jul 15, 2014 10:18 am

Hi all,

Just wondering who else suffers :lol: from this during the warmer months of the year. I don't play professionally, at church or for a living, just for my own pleasure. I truly love and enjoy playing the organ and with HW the thought that I can play many different instruments anytime I want has always been a big attraction for me. Although I'm a big "outdoors" person, during the colder months from around November through March I can usually find time to play every day, at least an hour or so in the morning and probably another hour or more during the evening, but when the nice weather starts I can't seem to find any time at all. I have other hobbies, old cars is one of them and when spring / summer comes around I just can't force myself to sit inside (it's just too nice outside) and instead find myself outside doing yard work, some kind of latest construction project, or I'm out in the shop until 10 at night working on something else instead, right now it happens to be an old engine I'm rebuilding and I've really gotten into it, up to my elbows in grease you could say. :D I keep telling myself I really need to sit down and play but I haven't done so in at least 3 weeks now and have no plans to do so anytime soon. It's like organ playing has taken a back seat and I'm starting to feel a bit guilty for my lack of attention to my playing as of late. Come November it will change though and I will be back at the organ.

This happen to anyone else here?

Marc

1961TC4ME

Re: How long since you last played or no playing right now?

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:25 am

Good news! I sat down and played for an hour and a half this morning! :D

Marc

ernst

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Excellent Mark, seems you got over the deadlock - at least for now!
It happens to me too - but just because of laziness.

Ernst

1961TC4ME

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks, Ernst! Yes, I will admit laziness can be a factor. :oops: I think I'll give it a go for awhile tonight as well. Even here in "cold country" it does get a bit warm and we are supposed to reach some oppressive temperatures today with a heat index of 105 F and humidity levels in the very uncomfortable you immediately begin to sweat range, jungle like and way too warm to be doing anything outside. Air conditioning and playing the organ sounds much better! :)

Marc

Jim Reid

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Several months! Seems I have gotten too old to remember pieces once learned.
So have just quit. Will sell what I can of my rig; see on in stuff for sale by individuals.
Jim
Jim Reid

ernst

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 1:01 am

Jim!
Just don´t do that.

What does it matter that things don´t work for you as they did. As long as you have those magic organs at your disposal - when you wanted. Just the idea that you CAN switch on something close to a real organ in your study or living room if you feel like. It´s magic. I can enjoy many days of not touching my console just marveling at what it would sound like if just flipped those switches. Like candy which you try not to touch - not yet. It´s power. Who the hell could just dream of that 30 years ago - well, switching on yes, but a truly fulfilling organ sound - no.
Just as long as you can play a few notes of those simple but so beautiful pieces of Francois Couperin´s masses. I love Bach beyond anyone else but his really thrilling pieces are like climbing the Himalaya for a pensionado. I was amazed how accessible the beautiful music of Couperin is for the less gifted.

Don´t sell that stuff, but promise yourself to use it - just now and then, and be forgiving to yourself.
I know how you feel, but DON´T sell it. It may remain to be a joy if you don´t expect too much of yourself.

Ernst

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 12:37 pm

Reflecting on this personally I guess at least for me, my playing or not playing comes down to a number of things. Priority is a big one and priorities can change from one time of the year to the next. Being I'm not a good player discouragement is another as I tend to gravitate towards things I'm good at (fixing things) and at times avoid those I'm not good at, but if whatever it is interests me I don't give up easily, organ playing is a challenge I enjoy at times and at others drives me crazy. At times I feel if I'm really into this organ thing as much as I think I am, then I'd better commit full time and practice every day, but then I wonder if I'm becoming too much of an organ nut! :lol:

I have also contemplated at times of just selling it all, walking away and getting out of the business, but then I quickly realize how lost I truly would be without it. Just having it gives me great satisfaction and knowing at any time I get the urge I can do down to my office, fire it up and enjoy the incredible sounds that as Ernst points out could not have been possible just so few years ago is priceless, the smile I get on my face every time confirms this. It's also very cool I have an organ that can shake the place and sounds like the real thing and nobody else I know has one. 8) I think for some of us if we have something we don't use that often that it bugs us and then we ask why we even have it and we should get rid of it because we don't use it enough. I guess I say even if you don't use it all that much or only at certain times of the year, if you enjoy it then keep it.

Jim,

I'd at least keep a minimal set-up on hand, even a simple keyboard and pedal board, I wouldn't give it all up even if you don't use it all that much, it's there to give you the joy I'm sure you still experience when you do use it. Let's all keep playing!

Marc

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

As long as I can put my fingers on the keyboard and play at least baby pieces, I´ll keep my HW as my most beloved material possession.
Thanks again to all have made this "maraviglia" possible.

Luis

Return to Performance practice