It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

Bach's Fantasia in G Minor--fingering

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

phillyorganist

Bach's Fantasia in G Minor--fingering

PostFri Nov 07, 2014 4:00 pm

I'm undertaking to learn the Fantasia. Would anyone be able to send me fingering for the opening part runs? I'm wasting time trying to reinvent the wheel. Anything would be appreciated!
Jim

profeluisegarcia

Re: Bach's Fantasia in G Minor--fingering

PostFri Nov 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Hello¡
Yea. Please send me an address. I will send you two "5 fingers" fingered versions of the opening part.
Luis

deWaverley

PostFri Nov 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Yes they're really fun to play when you use both hands. You basically use the Left hand to scoop out the bottom 3 or 4 notes of each loop.

e.g. in bar 4 - 2,1, on the 3rd and 4th notes of the 2nd group
4,2,1 on the G, B, C of the next group
1,2,1 on the C, B, C of the last group

in bar 5 - LH takes D, C, B of 1st group, then D, C, B, C in the next. The rest of the bar is fun enough with just the RH

In bar 6 I would do from D up to G in 1st group, G Bb D in 2nd group, G A B in 3rd group and Middle C, Eb and G in the last.

In bar 7 - C up to F#, F# A C, then D C# D C#.

The fingering of all the LH contributions is just thumb on the highest note.

Of course any note-grouping which suits your hand would probably do just as well; this is just what I do (as of tonight!).

Such a lovely piece to play!

deWaverley

PostFri Nov 07, 2014 6:17 pm

Now if anyone wants to leap in with suggestions for the perfect footing for the pedal part of the second quiet interlude, I too would be grateful. I've never found a footing which I can stay happy with. My score is a mess of rubbings out at that point!

profeluisegarcia

PostFri Nov 07, 2014 8:28 pm

deWaverley wrote:... footing for the pedal part of the second quiet interlude, I too would be grateful.

Me again: If you like Dupre´s indications, you might send me privately a mail address.

deWaverley

PostFri Nov 07, 2014 8:57 pm

That is so kind of you Luis, I will send you a PM.

deWaverley

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Thanks for that Luis. The footing in that version (of the section I was asking about) is almost 100% exactly what I already do! So in a way I'm pleased, but it's very 'heel-toe', and I was thinking there must be a good toes-only footing...but maybe it's just not possible for that bit.

It's funny, because printing all those hand splits on the first page like that makes it much harder to read/play. It's so much clearer in my Barenreiter edition where it's just a run of notes beamed in quarter note groups.

Many thanks - that was very interesting to see.

profeluisegarcia

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 6:21 pm

deWaverley wrote:... printing all those hand splits on the first page like that makes it much harder to read/play. .

Hello David: What I do with Dupré´s edition is to copy (xerox) the pages and erase with liquid all his marks, leaving only those I really need.
Regards

deWaverley

PostMon Nov 10, 2014 12:58 pm

No, what I meant was...in that edition the notes are beamed into groups according to which hand plays them, which is very messy and difficult to read. In the Barenreiter edition, notes are beamed as equal groups of 8 demisemiquavers, which is less distracting on the eye, and also lets you choose (and mark in) your own hand splits.

But it was very interesting to read the pedal footing, so many thanks again for taking the trouble to scan it for me.

Return to Performance practice