It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:48 pm

English Late Romantic Repertoire / Composers?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

Rauschpfeife

English Late Romantic Repertoire / Composers?

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 7:44 am

Hello Chaps,

So this is a question related to my other recent post here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14121

I won't repeat all the introduction to my questions that I put in the above post here, suffice to say that I might soon have a reason to play a piece or two at my local church, once per month or so, on a small 3M late romantic (English) instrument.

This post is to ask whether anyone can suggest some suitable (easy-moderate difficulty) repertoire which would suit such an instrument?

Briefly: most of what I play and know is baroque, suited to the baroque sample set I have and whilst it can be played on the church instrument, it would be nice to broaden my horizons a little and play something appropriate to the kind of organ I'm using.

So far, I have small quantities of music by Rheinberger (the Monologues), Ireland (Complete Works), Stanford (the two sets of Six Short Preludes & Postludes, one set of the Occasional preludes - can't remember which one), Parry (all of the chorale preludes, plus one other book I can't remember the title of) and Howells (Psalm Preludes, both sets).

Whilst that no doubt looks like a long list of relatively playable music and whilst I have played some pieces from all of those collections, here's the catch: if I can play baroque pieces to grade 6-7 standard, the completely different character of romantic music means I'm probably a bit handicapped as far as that idiom is concerned - grade 4-5 might be a more appropriate level. Beyond that, knocking a further point off the grade level (because it's a public performance) might be a good idea. I think that probably rules out much of what's in the above list.

Can anyone therefore suggest a) any other composers whose music I could consider? b) any pieces in the above collections which I might not have tried which are relatively easy? c) any general suggestions for the better performance of English romantic music?

With thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone can offer,

Adam.

mdyde

Re: English Late Romantic Repertoire / Composers?

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 8:00 am

Hello Adam,

[Topic moved here.]

Some nice organ pieces by Percy Whitlock, Vaughan Williams, Elgar and S. S. Wesley (and Herbert Howells, whom you mentioned) spring to mind, many of which aren't too hard to play.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Rauschpfeife

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 8:53 am

Martin,

Sorry about putting this in the wrong place and thank you for your suggestions - I've liked some of Whitlock's stuff when I've heard others play it in the past, so I'll have a hunt around and see what I can find.

I should just add, if anyone has suggestions for specific pieces, that would help me very much. I can buy / I have some collections as I've said above, which cover a range of difficulties - help to identify the "easy one to get me started" would be very valuable, as it isn't always obvious when I look at the page whether a piece will be hard or not.

Thanks again,

Adam.

IainStinson

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 11:11 am

Though essentially twentieth century composers you might enjoy music by William Harris, Herbert Sumsion, Hubert Parry and Frank Bridge. There is a rather fine book, A Little Organ Book in memory of Hubert Parry http://www.banksmusicpublications.co.uk/product/little-organ-book-in-memory-of-hubert-parry-a/29727/336/ which contains a lovely selection of early twentieth century composers - the music is quite "playable".

Iain

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Also not strictly of the period you mention but stylistically in that vein, here's a thought.

http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780193751255.do

Andrew

Rauschpfeife

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 4:38 am

IainStinson wrote:Though essentially twentieth century composers you might enjoy music by William Harris, Herbert Sumsion, Hubert Parry and Frank Bridge. There is a rather fine book, A Little Organ Book in memory of Hubert Parry http://www.banksmusicpublications.co.uk/product/little-organ-book-in-memory-of-hubert-parry-a/29727/336/ which contains a lovely selection of early twentieth century composers - the music is quite "playable".

Iain

Iain: Thank you for this suggestion - an affordable one too, which is always nice! I'll be ordering this later today.

Andrew: Thank you also for your suggestion. I've sung music by Darke but the other composers in that collection I've not heard of so I'll store your link away for a few weeks time when I get paid again, and order that one too.

I think if I can master some easy pieces and play them well, then the time may come when I can try some of my Bach Preludes and Fugues. I know though, that if I tried to play even the couple that I know very well, I'd be asking for trouble, so baby steps...

Thanks again for your suggestions,

Adam.

robsig

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 10:57 pm

You really must play the choral prelude on Welsh Hymn Rhosymedre by Vaughan Williams. It is truly lovely and easy play and register. Three manuals would be great as the first part can be played on 8'4' flutes with the melody either on a big 8' principal, or pretty reed (I used the voix humaine with the 4' principal on Zwolle) and then the louder second part on principal 8'4'.

Much of this music can be found for free on IMSLP nowadays. Don't forget Mendelssohn and Lemmens, and the lovely Cantabile op 11 by the Belgian Joseph Jongen.

I have a book of English Christmas organ music that is quite interesting as well. Once you start looking there's a lot of this repertoire, although not many masterpieces.

Hope that helps!

mdyde

PostSat Apr 25, 2015 4:05 am

robsig wrote:You really must play the choral prelude on Welsh Hymn Rhosymedre by Vaughan Williams. It is truly lovely and easy play and register.

I concur!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 6:32 am

Hi Adam,

I've posted the first of the 6 pieces in "An Easy Album" to CCH.

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/16585

Andrew

Return to Performance practice