It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am

What is this Music Notation?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

hiker54

What is this Music Notation?

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 11:28 am

Hello,
I am stumped by the music notation circled in red on this excerpt from Frescobaldi. I have consulted my usual online music symbol sites, but didn't find this particular symbol.

In example #1, there are two parallel vertical lines before an "A" in the bass. I first thought some kind of accidental? But then noticed the symbol is also used in example #2 and not immediately associated with a note symbol.

Any insight as to what they mean?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Last edited by hiker54 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: What is this Music Notation?

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 1:34 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesura

In musical notation, a caesura denotes a brief, silent pause, during which metrical time is not counted. Similar to a silent fermata, caesurae are located between notes or measures (before or over bar lines), rather than on notes or rests (as with a fermata). A fermata may be placed over a caesura to indicate a longer pause.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

hiker54

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks, Brett. I have always seen them at an angle ---never straight vertical.

Bob

mnailor

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 3:23 pm

In the B example only, the parallel vertical lines preceding a note were used at some times in early Italian and German music to indicate a mordent. This was often played with more beats than our current single beat mordant. Start on the note, alternate with the note below it one or more times. End back on the note.

This usage isn't related to A. (If A had a tie from the previous note it would be a Nachschlag, but I think Brett's right about it.)

See symbol glossary in Neumann's Ornamentation in Baroque ... long title.

Edit: It also could be a break to tell you to release and repeat the whole note for the moving voice, but that was normal practice then without any notation.

Return to Performance practice