It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

Unison off?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

Johann

Unison off?

PostThu Aug 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Greetings all,
I practice on an organ that has a unison off coupler. I understand what it does, and how it only is useful with the sub-octave or super-octave couplers, but I still am faced with this question: How is it used? An example of it's use would be much appreciated.

ludu

Re: Unison off?

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 2:38 am

I see two cases:
1) Your play a 4-manual organ with a 3-manual console. This organ should have the chamades on the 4th manual and you wish play the 3 first manuals alternating with the chamades. In this case the 3rd manual of your console could play the chamades with IV to III and III to III Unison off.
2) You have a Bourdon 8' and you wish to have Bourdon 16' and Flûte 4' but this division doesn't have them. You just have to put this Boudon 8' with the sub coupler, the octave coupler and the Unison off.
Last edited by ludu on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luc

Andrew Grahame

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 4:19 am

A common use is to turn a 16-foot Swell or Solo reed into an 8-foot voice. Draw the 16-foot stop plus super octave and unison off couplers, and you now have a new unison reed.

It works going down, too. With Salisbury, I use the sub-octave plus unison off couplers to turn the Tuba Clarion 4 into a softer, brighter alternate Tuba 8 which is handy to use against a reduced tutti (eg: minus the Great reeds).

Andrew

telemanr

PostSun Aug 09, 2015 3:44 am

The St. George Swell only has a 4’ oboe so sub and unison off makes an Oboe 8'
Rob Enns

Return to Performance practice