It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:41 pm

Pedal technique manual? By Diane Bish

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

ChangedForever

Pedal technique manual? By Diane Bish

PostSun Dec 13, 2015 12:34 pm

I could have SWORN I saw something like this on the 'net this year but can't find my link to it..... maybe it's a memory from one of my wild organdreams? I thought I had seen an option to buy a manual regarding Diane Bish's pedal techniques...I think it had practice drills in it and was under $50 American dollars.

Anybody seen such a manual? I'm unable to get a response from her website; would sure like to buy a copy of it......... or if you've seen / used something that's comparable and you like it could you share a link to it?

Thanks for the read,
Mark

IainStinson

Re: Pedal technique manual? By Diane Bish

PostSun Dec 13, 2015 1:30 pm

You might also like to consider "Anne Marsden Thomas: Pedalling For Organists". See details at http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/01110323/details.html

I can strongly recommend it. It has lots of good exercises.

Iain

ChangedForever

PostSun Dec 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks Iain,

Just ordered it for about what I would expect for US American dollars. Should be here next year!!

Happy New Year Iain,
Mark

Andrew Grahame

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 6:46 pm

I wonder if you are thinking of "Pedal Mastery for Organ" - not by Diane Bish but by Joyce Jones.

http://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Mastery-Org ... 0769250440

Andrew

ChangedForever

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks Andrew -- I think that was it; better price, too!! Had to pay $35.00 from the UK. Oh well can't win them all.... :? :shock:

telemanr

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 8:08 pm

I'm using the Kindle version which cost me $9.99 Cdn.
Rob Enns

ChangedForever

PostMon Dec 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Rob - cool idea... I use mine for lots of other stuff too... forgot all about my music stuff!!

Thanks,
Mark

mkc1

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 11:14 am

An ensample of Ms. Bish's pedal technique (sorry, couldn't resist):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9JHILukOaA

ChangedForever

PostTue Dec 15, 2015 5:44 pm

mkc1 - hee hee hee... those pedals must be pretty HOT to playin' 'em like that!! I forgot the name of those high-stepping horses.... I think during training they force them to walk through hot coals to make them do the high-step? This guy looks like he's walked the same path once or twice, too... :shock:

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 1:27 am

I find that watching pedalling like this to be at the same time amusing and disturbing. It's the polar opposite of how I was trained.

My organ teacher back in the late 1970's - Michael Dudman - was insistent on a minimum of physical movement at the console, and he was a model of this in his own playing. With regard to pedalling, he aimed for a rapid release of each key, followed by a quick movement of the foot in order to be over the top of the next key before it's needed. Then it was just a matter of pushing it down at the right moment. At the cathedral where he was organist it was possible to stand directly underneath the console (which was up in a gallery). When he was playing there was a constant sound of thumping from the pedals, but it wasn't from the keys being struck. The noise was produced by the keys as they slammed into the felted upper rail above the keys after being released.

There's a grainy video on YouTube, transferred from video tape, of his performance at the opening recital of a rebuilt cathedral organ in the New South Wales country town of Lismore back in 1988. The first piece - Buxtehude's Prelude, Fugue and Chaconne in C major - shows his pedalling clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uh5BbWjd7g

Andrew

Return to Performance practice