It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

Howells - Psalm Prelude Set 1 #2 - checking notes

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

MarkEdmonds

Howells - Psalm Prelude Set 1 #2 - checking notes

PostTue Feb 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Evening All,

I just wanted to check on whether a couple of notes in my music for this Howells piece is correct. I have the Novello edition with a code number 59 0353 10 and I've had this for probably 30 years. There are two notes that are printed in a smaller size that I want to check on. At school, my teacher told me to ignore them but he wasn't 100% certain.

So..... your expert opinions appreciated.

Turn to the second Psalm-Prelude in set 1 and scan through to where the pedal holds A flat for 2 bars.

In the second bar, 4th beat, my music shows the left hand with a D above middle C and F below and then an additional D below that which is printed as a small note. Should that be played?

Then in the next bar, marked mf where the left hand plays 4 descending notes starting Eb above middle C with a held Eb an octave below, my music also shows a C (octave below middle C) as a small note. Should that note be played? Or is that C meant to be middle C for one beat?

I've always wanted to clarify this!

Thanks for your input.

Mark

dhm

Re: Howells - Psalm Prelude Set 1 #2 - checking notes

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 6:27 am

Have just checked my copy, and I see exactly what you mean.
I would assume the small notes are optional - to be played if you can stretch a tenth! :D
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

MarkEdmonds

Re: Howells - Psalm Prelude Set 1 #2 - checking notes

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for your help dhm. I've got no problem with the tenth! On balance, my hunch would also be optional notes as it would be an unusual mistake for the printer to make. And to be honest, given the finger twisting sometimes needed for Howells, even the extended reach doesn't seem out of place.

The only professional recording I've got is Christopher Dearnley at St. Pauls and that is drowning in reverb which makes hearing the individual notes difficult. Magnificent performances though.

Return to Performance practice