It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 am

How to play overlapping notes?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

Moebius

How to play overlapping notes?

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 10:41 am

Hello,

I would like to ask for advice, how to play overlapping (?) notes in Bach's Concerto-I G-major (BWV 592) - in bars ~48 and 50 there are two pairs of notes that are the same for both staves and I don't know exactly how these are meant to be played?

Image link https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlGljqjpRglS7HmsQfeDW-hBFJOF

Thanks in advance.

adrianw

Re: How to play overlapping notes?

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 11:27 am

Often a clash like this can be a clue that different manuals were intended, but this is one of the very few places where the manual change instructions are Bach's own.

So the short answer to how to play these notes is "Mentally".

Longer answer: you are not going to actually play the note with your right hand because your left hand is already playing it. instead, you are going to imagine you are playing it and mentally communicate the line to your audience who will hear it just as Bach intended. Fortunately you do not need to have an amazing telepathic superpower to do this, but you do need a little finger discipline to make sure that you do not lazily hold the previous note too long since this will destroy the illusion. Try it and see!

- Adrian.

Moebius

Re: How to play overlapping notes?

PostMon Oct 10, 2016 1:40 pm

Wow!

Thank you very much for such detailed answer. I really appreciate it.

Return to Performance practice