It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

pedalboard technique question

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

fermata

pedalboard technique question

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 8:05 pm

When I slide my foot off a sharp onto a natural, the sharp bounces back somewhat noisily, no matter how gently I do this. Is there a way to mitigate this reaction? The book I am learning from does not address this.
Last edited by fermata on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James

Re: pedalboard technique question

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 am

I had this problem with my pedal board. The spring tension was not strong enough. I was able to increase it with a screw adjustment at the rear of the pedals. (This is on an Allen pedal board.) That solved it for me.
James

Grant_Youngman

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 9:15 am

You may also want to check the condition of the felt that should be on the underside of the curved toe board — between the toe board and the front end (console end) of the pedal(s). If that felt is badly worn it could account for some of the noise when the sharp pops back up. If the noise sounds like wood-on-wood that's a clear sign that the felt needs to be checked/replaced.
Grant

fermata

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 9:45 am

Thank you both! When the organ tech comes to service our old church organ next spring, I'll mention it. It is not a wood-on-wood sound, so maybe it's the spring tension. I'll watch what he does.

profeluisegarcia

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Hello fermata. You can take a look to this book (5 pages ahead of the first one):

https://books.google.com.co/books?id=Lx ... se&f=false

fermata

PostFri Nov 25, 2016 7:51 pm

Thank you, profeluisegarcia, I've just ordered it from Amazon! I've seen it there before, but never scrolled past the ancient history part. I see now there is much more. I look forward to getting it!

Return to Performance practice