It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am

Austrian and Italian Organ Music

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

Bombarde32

Austrian and Italian Organ Music

PostWed May 31, 2017 3:56 pm

I have two small pieces by Simon Sechter that I want to play. Simon Sechter was an Austrian composer and organist. I am trying to decide what instrument would be suitable for his music. There are many fine historic organs in Austria but that particular country's instruments are not represented in the virtual organ world to the best of my knowledge. One thought I had were the neo-baroque instruments either of the one at Velesovo or the two Marcussen instruments at Rotterdam. Any thoughts from the group?

Italian organs are in short supply in the virtual world and the ones we do have are 1-manual instruments. I have a Preludio by Bossi where the editor calls for a two-manual instrument with a "ripieno" (full organ" registration on each manual. Again, any thoughts from the group as to what organ would be suitable?

Thanks. - Richard

telemanr

Re: Austrian and Italian Organ Music

PostWed May 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Which Bossi? There are so many.
Rob Enns

Bombarde32

PostWed May 31, 2017 6:57 pm

I don't see why it matters which Bossi but it is Costante Adolfo Bossi, the brother of Marco Enrico Bossi.

telemanr

PostWed May 31, 2017 9:49 pm

Simply because I was interested in seeing if I could find the music on IMSLP. But it is not available.
Rob Enns

Bombarde32

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 8:07 am

Oh that's fine. I already checked that out myself. This piece of music was found in "The Organist Companion" published by Wayne Leupold. I did a search in contrebombarde and found that Bossi was played on a wide variety of instruments so I will find something that fits. On the Sechter music, the registration suggestions for those two little pieces are very simple and seem to sound good on the Velesovo instrument so I think I will just go with that unless someone has a better suggestion. Thanks for investigating a little. Happy Playing. - Richard

Bombarde32

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 8:21 am

Well, at least I should say that Marco Enrico Bossi was played on a wide variety of instruments so that makes the case to just find something that fits.

Matteov

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 11:06 am

I'm italian and I know very well italian romantic organ repertoire(music by Bossi, Ravanello...).
This music was played on italian romantic organs.
People from other country think that in Italy there are very small and ancient instruments.
Instead in Italy most of the organs are big romantic instruments made by Tamburini, Vegezzi-Bossi, Mascioni, Ruffatti....
These instruments are based on the Ripieno(the Italian mixtur, very different from german, english or french mixtur, in fact it'is very bright) with lots of ranks.
There are also so beautiful foundations and anches; for me they are the better organs in the world! :wink:
So, the better instrument to play this repertoire on Hauptwerk, for me, it's Caen, the most close organ to italian instruments.

adri

Return to Performance practice