It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am

Changing from sharps to naturals, ect.

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Re: Changing from sharps to naturals, ect.

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 3:56 pm

johnstump_organist wrote:I don't see the tie you are talking about. There is a cross staff beam where the alto part was being written on the bass staff and the goes back to being written in the treble staff, but I'm not sure what you are talking about in those spots.

I'm probably not using the correct terminology again, but I see basically a tie or as you say a cross staff beam between the two from the B on the second stave to the E on the top stave, and I've never understood exactly what that means or why it's written that way. It has always made me assume there's something different that's supposed to be done there, just not sure what it is.

Marc

johnstump_organist

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 4:56 pm

No, nothing affects the performance. It is done to help make the voice leading clear. The manuals are basically in three voices (ignoring the places where Bach throes in some block chords - indication of a youthful work). In means 22 the middle manual voice is being written on the bass staff, when it goes back up on the treble staff in 23, they keep the notes beamed together so you can follow where that voice goes. If it happened to be two quarter notes when the voice changed staff, they might put a thin straight line at an angle between the two staffs to show that the alto voice moved from the bass staff to the treble staff. It's one of those things that is done for the more theoretically aware. You play the b as a dotted 8th note and the e as a 16th note where it would normally fall in the beat. No slurring or tying is implied.
Hope that is clear as clear as mud,
John

1961TC4ME

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 6:57 pm

johnstump_organist wrote:Hope that is clear as clear as mud,
John

Ha! Perfectly!

Marc

HeAu

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 4:59 am

Interesting topic and valuable answers for selfmade organists. Thank you, too.
Rgds
heau

sjkartchner

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:22 pm

johnstump_organist wrote:You play the b as a dotted 8th note and the e as a 16th note where it would normally fall in the beat. No slurring or tying is implied.

Of course, the 16th note e is tied to the following 8th note e so the timing is effected in that sense, but not with the cross-staff beaming notation as John explains.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA
Previous

Return to Performance practice