It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

Looking for this Purcell Trumpet Tune

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Looking for this Purcell Trumpet Tune

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am

Hi all,

I know I've referenced this particular CD quite a bit as of late, sorry for that, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows where to find this exact version of Purcell's Trumpet Tune that begins @ 8:13 on this CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT_t8Qv ... 6e1MPmEwSF

I've found various versions of it on IMSLP but all are either organ and trumpet or some other version not for organ at all, none I can find match the song here on the CD. Is it possible that the version on the CD was not an actual published version and was a one off by someone?

Thanks,

Marc

josq

Re: Looking for this Purcell Trumpet Tune

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 10:39 am

Sorry, no answer to your question... but aren't such video's copyright violations? No blame on you ;)

1961TC4ME

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 10:45 am

josq wrote:Sorry, no answer to your question... but aren't such video's copyright violations? No blame on you ;)

Ha! I guess you'd have to take that one up with YouTube! I'm just clicking on stuff! :mrgreen:

I'd like to try learn this piece, but so far all searches for this particular version have come up with zero results.

Marc

IainStinson

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 11:17 am

It is Trumpet Tune (and Air or and Almand) by Henry Purcell. (it seems usually to be printed in D major - that may help find it..)
1. Oxford Book of Wedding Music page 44 has the Trumpet Tune only
2. Ceremonial Music for Organ (also OUP) has Trumpet Tune and Almand Henry Purcell arr Dr Francis Jackson (pg 8)
3. Other editions are available.
4. Carefully look at http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=33534 for a free organ version...

[Popular for weddings; the late HRH Princess Margaret had it her wedding many years ago)

Iain

1961TC4ME

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks for the help, Iain.

The option 4 free score version you found is as close as I've seen, but what's also got me wondering is where that second part of the song comes from starting @ 9:51 on the CD, I've never found any containing this part and it sounds like it would be fun to learn. Is this part possibly some sort of improvisation or add-on from another song? That part of the song kinda sounds like an 'off to the races' we go! :lol:

Marc

robsig

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:53 am

Hello! I have just seen your post, so please forgive the delay.

Your piece by Purcell is actually by Jeremiah Clarke. It is very often used for weddings, so it can be found in many arrangements in wedding books. In that context it rarely is played beyond the first two minutes. For concert use lots of extra couplets have been devised by arrangers, an interesting one can be found here:
http://ks.imslp.net/files/imglnks/usimg ... pet-TA.pdf

I am sure in your youtube clip Michael Murray's couplet in G major is improvised. It sounds more like William Byrd or other Elizabethan rather than Purcell or Clarke. The rest of Murray's interpretation is highly arranged, the thick harmonies are adapted to the organ and the acoustic. English organs did not have pedals for at least a century after this piece was written. It doesn't matter…

You can basically do whatever you like with this piece and people will still enjoy it!

You can find the basic tune at IMSLP.

robsig

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 am

In my last line I meant to say you can find the piece at IMSLP under the name Jeremiah Clarke, nor Purcell.

RS

IainStinson

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 am

The published arrangements of this Trumpet Tune that I've seen give the original composer as Henry Purcell.
Iain

James

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 6:53 am

This from IMSLP:
According to Wikipedia, "The famous Trumpet Tune in D (also incorrectly attributed to Purcell) was taken from the semi-opera The Island Princess, which was a joint musical production of Clarke and Daniel Purcell (Henry Purcell's younger brother)—probably leading to the confusion." Their sources are Bette Matthews (2004) Wedding for All Seasons p. 119. Barnes & Noble Publishing, 2004, and Cudworth, C., & Zimmerman, F. B. (1960). The trumpet voluntary. Music and Letters, 41:341–348 (see p.347).

James

1961TC4ME

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks all for the help and clarifications. Yes, there certainly seems to be quite a number of versions of this particular piece as I too have found several in the past on IMSLP and other sites. That's what got me wondering if there was even an exact version of what Michael Murray did. I also figured there had to be some improvising going on as well with his piece. The one I went with for now that is close but not exact to the Micheal Murray rendition is the Free-Scores version pointed out by Iain and I'm slowing working my way through it now. As I get better at it I too will probably attempt do a bit of improvising and adding on so to speak to make it more Murray sounding. I'm using Dingelstaedt from SP to play it and it sounds quite good with this instrument.

Marc

adri

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 3:39 am

RichardW

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:44 pm

adri wrote:original version is surely for manuals only; all other editions are arrangements & embellishments.

OK, so that's why, many years ago, I could not find one exactly the same as the one Brett once played on the Mt Carmel sampleset.

Regards,
Richard

Return to Performance practice