Search:
Submit Search

How to reduce playing mistakes?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...

Re: How to reduce playing mistakes?

Postby jcfelice88keys » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:58 pm

andrewhj wrote:<..>
6 Practice a passage in the evening and then return to it in the morning: often our brain will sort out difficulties in our sleep.

Hello Andrew,

The act of practice before going to sleep (and then awakening to find the problem is solved, or at least addressed) is one of those little-known gems I have passed along to my students. It works!

Thank you for mentioning this often overlooked piece of helpful and useful advice!

Cheers,

Joe
jcfelice88keys

Postby profeluisegarcia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Hello all¡
There a psychological concept relevant in this interesting topic: Overlearning.
Why we never forget how to ride the bicycle? Simple: because we have to learn this ability per-fec-tly, no by halves. So, if we practice to the point we get to play the section or the piece perfectly, there will be no mistakes- as profesional pianists usually do-.

Luis
profeluisegarcia

Postby 1961TC4ME » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 am

I too have used the practice a certain part method I'm having difficulty with in the evening and returning to it the following day and yes, it definitely works! I've even found an extra day or so away and no playing at all and then returning can make a huge difference. This has been a great thread, I've picked up a lot of very helpful information.

Marc
1961TC4ME

Previous

Return to Performance practice