It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

MDA Virginia Wurlitzer

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

TomBentley

MDA Virginia Wurlitzer

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 7:11 am

This may be a totally inappropriate post but thought it worth a try. Just purchased MDA VW and was wondering how, if or where, I might be able to obtain a midi file of the demonstration piece played "Goodnight Wherever you Are" - I have zero experience in registering a TO and would love to be able to see what was actually registered for this performance. Just thought it might not hurt to ask. Martin, if you are looking at this, would it be possible for MDA to point me in the right direction here? Thanks in advance.... hope I'm not be totally inappropriate.

Regards,

Tom

mdyde

Re: MDA Virginia Wurlitzer

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 7:29 am

Hello Tom,

Brett would need to be the person to get back to you about that.(I wasn't involved in any MDA sample sets' demo recordings myself.) I've marked this topic for his attention.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 9:32 am

Hello Tom,

Unfortunately those files are on an old computer now that isn't being used any longer. I would need to resurrect that PC to search the files which are now about 15-16 years old then make them work with the current version of Hauptwerk, but I'm afraid I don't have the time for that currently. If I do get it going at some point in the future I'll let you know.

I don't recall any registrations that were used in these demonstrations. They were performed by the Virginia organist Warren York who passed away some years ago.

Perhaps some other theatre organists may be able to offer their insights as to the registrations used based on listening to the audio.

Thank you!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

TomBentley

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Dear Martin and Brett -- Thank you so much for taking your time to respond. I certainly understand why such a request would be way out of the norm for you as your time would be well spent on much more important projects for all concerned but I wanted to thank you for at least letting me know. I couldn't expect more. I would welcome any registration advice from the seasoned members here that might help -- I have time so the old trial and error method will work out sooner or later for me and I'll just keep researching. Best regards to you both and again many many thanks!

Tom

Frank_VTPO

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 1:34 am

Dear Tom,

there are not many sources to learn the art of theatre organ registration from; unfortunately Walt Strony's book "The Secrets of Theatre Organ Registration" is out of print.
However, you might like to check out these two sources:
1.) http://theatreorgans.com/virtualtheatreorgan/Families%20of%20Tone.htm (general introduction)
2.) http://vtpo.info/vtpo_classes.htm (individual registrations compiled and explained by Don Springer)
Of course, you can (and should) directly apply these registrations at your VTPO.

Best wishes
Frank

smfrank

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 5:52 am

Walt is supposedly working on a new version of his book. In the meantime, Jelani Eddington has a series of books that are quite good:

http://www.theatreorganarrangements.com

Steve
Steven Frank

TomBentley

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 7:20 am

Frank and Steve -- Thanks very much! These look very useful. Much to digest! I really appreciate this guys!

Tom

toplayer2

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Tom,

Our line of virtual theatre organs include registrations. These may be helpful to you. The entry level ten rank model is available for no charge at the link below:

http://downloads.hauptwerk.com/instrume ... ptwerk_rar

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works

Frank_VTPO

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Dear all,

very recently cinema organist Tom Horton has posted a series of videos on YouTube, of which the following explains the registration possibilities on a 2/11 Wurlitzer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTLkGZu2Bh8
Enjoy this short introduction!

Regards
Frank

engrssc

Return to Performance practice