It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 am

Program or app to play back music and slow it down?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Program or app to play back music and slow it down?

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm of the type that needs to hear a piece played first and get it in my head which helps me learn it.
Unfortunately sometimes certain parts of a song that I am trying to learn and am struggling with are played too quickly for me to pick up exactly what's going with what and how certain notes are played, this makes it difficult to practice the part and do it correctly. What I'd like to be able to do is hear the part I'm working on at a slower pace but still in the correct pitch, practice it, and then gradually bring it up to normal playing speed. I believe this sort of thing is out there as I've seen it somewhere before but can't remember where I saw it or what it is called. I think I've seen something like it on the IMSLP site, but I'm not sure if it also has the ability to slow the piece down as well. Perhaps there's a few different versions out there or even a free one someone here knows about?

Does anyone know of anything like this?

Thanks,

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josq

Re: Program or ap to play back music and slow it down?

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi, if you have a Hauptwerk MIDI file, Hauptwerk nowadays has an option to playback the file slower or faster.

If the recording is on Youtube, click below the video on the cog wheel icon to find the option to playback the video at a faster or slower speed (0.75x and 0.5x works fine for me, but 0.25x not).

wattos31

Re: Program or ap to play back music and slow it down?

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 7:00 am

Hi,

If you are meaning slowing down an audio file whilst maintaining pitch, Song Surgeon does it well. They have a fully functional 4hr limited demo which is sufficient time to try it out.

http://songsurgeon.com/

Graham

1961TC4ME

Re: Program or app to play back music and slow it down?

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks, guys. I had a look at the Youtube slow down method, I'll say interesting is the operative word. The sound does get a bit garbled in places when you slow it down, but it's still good enough to hear the notes pretty clearly and it might do the trick, that is of course if the music in question is on Youtube, so far what I'm working on is available and I've listened to the parts I'm having issue with. Yes, the .25x option is not good! I'll investigate the Sound Surgeon as well.

Anything else anyone knows of, throw it our way. :D

Marc

larason2

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 10:09 pm

I use an application called "Transcribe" from Seventh String Software. It slows down to 20% of original speed while preserving pitch, and also has a "piano roll" function that graphs out the pitches on the piano keyboard. I've tried organ pieces with it, and it works well (except I find the higher organ notes don't always register perfectly on the piano roll - you can still hear them well though at lower speed).

ldeutsch

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 am

I second the recommendation for "Transcribe." It costs a small amount of money, but it is one my most indispensable applications for arranging and transcribing music. The company does an excellent job in keeping users up to date also, with many years of free upgrades. The piano roll feature (which I think of as a real-time spectral analysis) is just one of many great features. You can also change the key pitch of recorded music without changing the tempo (also useful for some occasions.)

Les

1961TC4ME

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 1:32 pm

ldeutsch wrote:I second the recommendation for "Transcribe." It costs a small amount of money, but it is one my most indispensable applications for arranging and transcribing music. The company does an excellent job in keeping users up to date also, with many years of free upgrades. The piano roll feature (which I think of as a real-time spectral analysis) is just one of many great features. You can also change the key pitch of recorded music without changing the tempo (also useful for some occasions.)

Les
larason2 wrote:I use an application called "Transcribe" from Seventh String Software. It slows down to 20% of original speed while preserving pitch, and also has a "piano roll" function that graphs out the pitches on the piano keyboard. I've tried organ pieces with it, and it works well (except I find the higher organ notes don't always register perfectly on the piano roll - you can still hear them well though at lower speed).

Thanks a bunch guys, this appears to be exactly what I'm looking for! Just downloaded the trial version of Transcribe! and will give it a run. Yes, very reasonably priced as well.

Marc

Return to Performance practice