It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:49 am

Could someone kindly verify this chord for me?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Could someone kindly verify this chord for me?

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Hello All,

I recently found this piece on the internet after hearing it and decided to give it a try and learn it, so far this is a fun and challenging (for me anyways! :lol: ) piece to learn and play!

https://www.scribd.com/doc/234920088/Tu ... Lang-Organ

I'm having an issue with a chord that seems to be a typo in the piece. On page 3 of the piece, last measure before the repeat (so 4 measures in), the last left hand chord shows F#,D#, A natural played along with A natural on the right hand and a D natural on the pedal. This combination sounds very odd (especially against the D on the pedal) and makes no musical sense, at least to my ears it doesn't. I've listened to the song several times and figure what's marked as a D# in this left hand chord is an error and it should actually be a D natural instead, so the chord would then correctly be F#, D natural and A natural. What I'm thinking is they meant to mark it as the F was again to be sharp, but they incorrectly marked as the D to be sharp.

Could someone clarify this for me?

Thanks!

Marc

organsRgreat

Re: Could someone kindly verify this chord for me?

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:09 pm

I've just checked my copy, and you're absolutely right – I have a sharp on the F, not the D. Strictly speaking this is a “precautionary accidental” - F is sharpened in the key signature anyway, so although there are F naturals in the previous bar, those accidentals “die” at the end of the bar, and the note automatically reverts to a sharp. However, this is a rule of music theory that is widely disregarded; in my opinion a more satisfactory solution would be to put precautionary accidentals in brackets. Anyway, your assumption is correct :-)

Wwhel21

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:13 pm

hi Marc,

I agree as well. I have the same copy you do (JBC & Co Ltd) and when I was first learning the piece my teacher wrote in the correction for that last chord (to A, D, F#).

It's a great piece - good luck with it!

Bill

1961TC4ME

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated! I too figured since F is natural in the previous bar that we go back to F sharp for the next bar, only problem was it was now showing the D as being sharp as well and when I played the combination I was like, this sounds very weird and there is no place in the song that sounds like this, so something had to be wrong. Of course the next question was, do I play the F natural and the D sharp or what? I tried a few different combinations and it didn't sound right until I went F#, D natural and A natural. So, I figured the # marking was just a reminder to go back to F sharp and the D was to be natural, it's just that it was marked incorrectly on the wrong (D) line.

I kind of figured this sort of notation mistake would be slim to none, but I suppose it happens. The piece I found here has been marked up by someone along the line, you'd think they would have caught and corrected it, or at least pointed it out. Maybe they've been playing it wrong the entire time?

In any case the clarification is much appreciated and now it's back to learning this wonderful piece. :D

Marc

jcfelice88keys

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 3:10 pm

I am very familiar with Lang's "Tuba Tune," having performed it as a church postlude and in concert over the past several decades. The problem chord is a misprint in the sheet music: It should be a D major chord, in which case the left hand's notes are A, D (natural --- not #) and F#.

Want proof? Listen to various Youtube videos; not one of the performances "play" the misprinted note!!! They all play a D Major chord!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

Return to Performance practice