It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

Different ways to make a crescendo?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

ludu

Different ways to make a crescendo?

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:26 am

Hello,

Playing mainly Widor and Vierne, I know very well how to make a crescendo in French romantic music. However, I also own Salisbury and Hereford and I would like to explore the English music too. Hereford has its own native crescendo. Do you mean it’s a significant example that I could reproduce in the sample set of Salisbury?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Luc

mnailor

Re: Different ways to make a crescendo?

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 11:08 am

Are you talking about using Hauptwerk's master crescendo on Salisbury?

http://www.contrebombarde.com/concertha ... limit/1000

Could you use the advice above to guide the order to add stops?

ludu

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Yes, my question is: how to programme a Master Crescendo in Salisbury, respecting the English style.
Luc

IainStinson

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 2:55 pm

You might look at this post to see the piston settings Daniel Cook used at Salisbury.
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12553&p=93184&hilit=+salisbury+piston+#p93180

Many English organs don't have crescendo pedals and, where they have pistons, they player may use these to affect the crescendo.

Iain
Last edited by IainStinson on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludu

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Many thanks Iain, that’s very interesting!
Luc

Agnus_Dei

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi ludu,

Here are 2 extensive articles that I wrote concerning the use of pistons on Salisbury or ANY large English organ.

I would strongly urge you not to go down the false path of "setting up a crescendo pedal."

For one thing, almost none of these organs have crescendo pedals! Hereford is the exception, rather than the norm. Also, if you use a crescendo pedal, then you governed by it, and FORCED to add and subtract stops in the order that it is programmed.

My article goes into great detail. If you need any further help, please let me know!

Peace,

David

ludu

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 4:17 am

Hello David,

Many thanks for those extraordinarily interesting links. I was waiting for this information and I am not surprised it comes from you! This guide is very useful for a French organist (I am a Belgian, but French-speaking), often powerless in front of this complex task.

Currently, I am reading Karg-Elert’s music. Although he is a German organist, his music sounds very British and a part of his work has been published in England. Very exciting.

Cordially,
Luc

Agnus_Dei

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 4:55 pm

You are VERY welcome, ludu!

Yes, it seems that only the English play Karg-Elert's music. I believe that he was completely "abandoned" by the Germans, which devastated him, and lead to his death.

If I can ever be of help, don't hesitate to let me know! :D

Peace,

David

GrahamH

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 1:11 pm

For one thing, almost none of these organs have crescendo pedals! Hereford is the exception, rather than the norm.

Do you think the reason that the real Hereford organ is equipped with a crescendo pedal might be due to the fact that compared to the Great, the Swell division is very quiet even with the box fully open, and the Choir division is not enclosed anyway - so the only way to achieve a dramatic crescendo is by changing the registration?
In Hauptwerk we can, of course, use the voicing tools to increase the overall volume of the Swell division ...

Graham

Agnus_Dei

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 9:37 pm

GrahamH wrote:
For one thing, almost none of these organs have crescendo pedals! Hereford is the exception, rather than the norm.

Do you think the reason that the real Hereford organ is equipped with a crescendo pedal might be due to the fact that compared to the Great, the Swell division is very quiet even with the box fully open, and the Choir division is not enclosed anyway - so the only way to achieve a dramatic crescendo is by changing the registration?
In Hauptwerk we can, of course, use the voicing tools to increase the overall volume of the Swell division ...

Graham

Hi Graham.

I don't think so, but I understand what you are saying.

The Hereford Choir is very small, and I admit that I "resisted" it for quite a long time. I do use it, hopefully in a successful manner, but the "way" it can be used is certainly limited.

I often take the flutes 8' & 4' from the Solo, and bring them to the Choir Dulciana. Sometimes the Viola 8' from the Solo also can be used to make a useful sound.

As you know, most of the Choir divisions in England were unenclosed. The one at Ripon was not under expression, and was similar to the Hereford one, although less nasal, and with a Clarinet on it.

If you needed an enclosed "Choir," you HAD to use the Solo, and I think it's the same for Hereford.

Peace,

David

ajt

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 5:40 pm

I suspect the reason that Hereford has a general crescendo pedal is because this console was made by Willis III, and he was quite a fan of the general crescendo pedal and other things such as "Doubles Off" and the coupler row above the manuals, etc. (And his unique infinite swell and gradation pedals, which Hereford doesn't have, though it wouldn't surprise me if they were at one point).

I once auditioned for a large church with a very large Willis III organ, without any practice time on the organ. The panel were sitting directly in front of the pipework. I was playing quietly on swell strings and great flute and went to open the box; accidentally hit the general crescendo pedal and slammed it wide open. I'm pretty sure they leapt about 20 foot in the air as this cacophony of trombas, tubas and 32' reeds slammed into them.

I still got the job :-)
Adrian

engrssc

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:51 pm

There are several ways to impress a board or a panel. That certainly was one of them. An extra 'atta boy' for that. :shock: :)

BTW, good to see you around again, Adrian. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

ajt

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks, Ed.

I still dip in and read occasionally, but I'm not doing a huge amount with Hauptwerk at the moment; I moved areas (just down the road from Hereford) and have a (not very inspiring) 3m pipe organ at church.
Adrian

Return to Performance practice