It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 10:09 am

How to register "Wachet Auf" on Hinsz II?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

Stefanussen

How to register "Wachet Auf" on Hinsz II?

PostFri Jul 31, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi all, finally got the music to "Wachet Auf" without the tenor clef, and have started tinkering around with it on the Hinsz vol. II

Per someone's instructions in a much earlier thread, I set the tuning to Silbermann, and transposed 1 semitone and another .5 semitones by using the tuning feature. I'm now able to play along with my favorite YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFrVdo5c4mg and it sounds marvelous.

Registering the Hinsz makes a little more sense to me than registering theater organs (not much at all!). I'm wondering if someone could chime in with their opinion on what Ton Koopman's equivalent on the Hinsz might be?

Thanks!
Rob Stefanussen

jcfelice88keys

Re: How to register "Wachet Auf" on Hinsz II?

PostFri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm

Hello Rob,

While I do not own the Hinsz set, the following may be helpful to you as you register Wachet Auf in the style of Ton Koopman's video:

Upon listening to the Youtube video, the right hand part has a 1-1/3' mutation added to it. If you listen carefully to the ends of the beginning phrases, where the notes are held out, you will hear an overtone of a fifth, sounding two octaves higher than the original tone, corresponding to a 1-1/3' pitch. The other tones in the right hand could be either 8' + 4' flute, or an 8' principal stop (whose characteristic overtone is one octave higher than the original tone).

The cantus firmus is a simple 8' reed as you are probably already aware, and the pedal sounds like a simple 16' + 8' flute registration, but not coupled to any manual stops.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Joe

Stefanussen

PostSat Aug 01, 2009 1:15 am

Joe,

Thanks for the insight. You have a well trained ear to be able to pick out the mutation like that. It looks like the 1-1/3' on the Hinsz will be coming in vol. III. In the meantime, there are more than enough flutes to come up with a nice baroque sound. One thing I was not sure about was whether or not there was any 16' in the pedal. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Rob Stefanussen

giovdan

PostSat Aug 01, 2009 4:27 am

Hi Rob and Joe,
I see Koopman video (but I have the DVD.... heheheh!) and I think Joe ear it very good.
I think right hand soft flutes 8'- 4' and 1 1/3 (like french "larigot"), left hand trumpet 8' and pedal soft 16' - 8' - 4' without
manual union.
In video it sound good but I prefer a little slowly and mutch majestic.........but only for my taste.
I'm looking for some time a version with voices that complement the decorated part (right hand), a bit like in the exercises of improvisation; similar in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1D2AzqSUAs

giovdan

PostSat Aug 01, 2009 6:10 am

Hello again.......
sorry, the Hinsz registration..........:
I don't have this set and I never ear it in live performance but try this:

PEDAL: Subbas 16' (o Principal 16' if it isn't to strong...) + Gedakt 8' + IV ped
HOOFDWERK (left hand): Trompet 8'
RUGWERK (right hand): Holpijp 8' + Fluit 4' + Gedakt Quint 3' + Sifflet 1'
BORSTWERK: Fluit B/D 4'

Best regards!

G.D.

chorn

PostSat Aug 01, 2009 9:48 am

giovdan wrote:In video it sound good but I prefer a little slowly and mutch majestic.........but only for my taste.

Me too. I'd prefer this speed or slower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qIE_n_6 ... re=related

though browsing through YouTube versions I seem to be heavily out-numbered by people playing it much faster.

Here's a speed I like (not organ - Cantata 140):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bach_ ... horale.ogg -- click on the play button

giovdan wrote:I'm looking for some time a version with voices that complement the decorated part (right hand), a bit like in the exercises of improvisation; similar in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1D2AzqSUAs

I've stumbled into that video. Where did all those extra notes come from? I prefer the rests.

Stefanussen

PostSat Aug 01, 2009 10:41 am

Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for your registration suggestions, I will be giving all of these a try ASAP. It's such a blessing to be able to play these pieces on these amazing instruments. The Hinsz has such a warm, yet clear sound for Bach chorales such as this one, and I get to enjoy it right in my little study!

I can definitely see why you prefer the slower, more majestic sound. There's just something about that Ton Koopman video, he pulls off that snappy rhythm in such an expert fashion that I find the tempo to be very appropriate. I'm thinking that's the exception rather than the rule.

I'm not usually one to go to sample set creators begging for them to sample this or that organ (if only it were as simple as taking your pick). Sure is tempting with that Weingarten organ though!
Rob Stefanussen

BarryG

PostSun Aug 02, 2009 8:40 am

Rob,

Don't know where you finally found the music "without the tenor clef"; I found it on http://www.icking-music-archive.org, along with several other Bach and Buxtehude pieces in "normal" (to me) clefs that I couldn't find elsewhere (I usually start looking on http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page.

Just FWIW.

Barry Gerken

Grant_Youngman

PostSun Aug 02, 2009 10:28 am

The Widor-Schweitzer/Berger-Schweitzer editions of "complete bach" are all standard clefs. I presume these are still available, but I've had my set since the 60/70's and couldn't say for sure. Same for the Barenreiter eds. of Buxtehude, Pachelbel, etc.
Grant

Stefanussen

PostSun Aug 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Doh! Didn't realize I could have downloaded a score free of charge. I only looked on IMSLP and found the one with clefs other than bass and treble.

I got mine here http://www.organmusicdownloads.com/inde ... ucts_id=20
Rob Stefanussen

chorn

PostSun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Another place to download Bach chorales free: http://www.magle.dk/music-forums/4631-b ... s-pdf.html -- see bottom of first post

GDay

PostSun Aug 02, 2009 10:40 pm

The Widor-Schweitzer/Berger-Schweitzer editions are still available, but unfortunately they have shrunk the book size. No more large size editions like we could buy in the 70's.
G'Day

I still have a few small chickens for sale . . .

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Aug 03, 2009 10:01 am

GDay wrote:The Widor-Schweitzer/Berger-Schweitzer editions are still available, but unfortunately they have shrunk the book size. No more large size editions like we could buy in the 70's.

Hmmm. I guess I better take better care of the set I have. Sheetmusicplus.com still has all 8 volumes. But Schirmer doesn't show them in the catalog on their website, so maybe they're out of print now.
Grant

johnstump_organist

PostSat Aug 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Here is my version of BWV 645. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IKshnv2Vnc
It is on my Allen, which I hope to shortly start as using as a contoller for Hauptwerk.
I like to try and put in some of the forte / piano incications that are in the original cantata movement by lighteneing the registration where it is marked piano in the cantata.

If you need music in normal clefs, feel free to ask me, and I may have it. I have played much of the music I play into Finale so I can make my own editions, including the one in question here. I put in all the "funny" clefs, just because I can read them and learned them with the "funny" clefs years ago, but I could easily pull them all out and leave it in "normal" clefs and send you a PDF or the finale file. I have all six of the Schubler into Finale, so if you want the others, let me know.

John

pat17

PostThu May 20, 2010 9:05 am

Hi Rob,

I've watched on youtube the very nice recording you have done about BWV 645... Congratulations, it's a real masterwork! 8)

Can you please share with us which registration you have selected for that? :wink:

Thanks in advance 8)
Next

Return to Performance practice