It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

Publishing on YouTube

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

PeterB

Publishing on YouTube

PostSun Aug 09, 2009 9:57 am

I'm about to publish my first Hauptwerk organ video on YouTube, and thought I'd call on the collective experience of this forum: is there anything one should keep in mind? Formats, sample rates, pre- and post-production tips, anything that a video newbie should think about when preparing the video? I know that YouTube can be pretty draconian with some image and audio formats, and it would be good to avoid any obvious mistakes since the upload times are pretty long.

It's the last movement of Louis Vierne's Third Symphony in F sharp minor, written in 1911. The organ is the Metz C-C. The video also showcases the SakralorgelWelt Consolo 372.
Last edited by PeterB on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Pinnegar

Re: Publishing on YouTube

PostSun Aug 09, 2009 11:39 am

Hi!

The most important thing is not to use standard camera sound.

I have posted a number of videos on YouTube, many of which have been well received and which I hope give pleasure, but FULL organ, compressed by automatic volume control and distortion gives quite the wrong impression and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPwfJOyo5Eg has had the vilest comments (probably from the vilest people) as a result.

In that video, on the left, I can see the stop lights are lit for the extraordinary French Trumpets which sound through Altec theatre horns - and are very effective in real life but colour the sound of full organ, together with the 128ft stop modulating the automatic volume control at 4Hz

One simply has to use a sound recorder and add the WAV file to the video seperately.

Best wishes

David P
http://www.organmatters.co.uk
David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.

polikimre

PostSun Aug 09, 2009 1:23 pm

If you use HW you can just record the audio while playing and then add it over the video, you don't need an external sound recorder for that.

PeterB

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 4:00 am

Thanks for the tip. It is of course important not to use microphones when capturing the sound from Hauptwerk, especially since direct audio recording in Hauptwerk is so easy to do. But I was thinking more along the lines of technical tips: sample rates, file sizes, sync frames, compression settings — any non-intuitive aspects that have tripped YouTube posters up in the past.

PeterB

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 5:12 pm

The completed video can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EK97MOOCBA

Enjoy!

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Now you may also find his video on the Hauptwerk website videos page. Thanks Peter for a great performance and taking the time to shoot and create the video!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

MattOlieman

PostTue Aug 11, 2009 8:07 am

Extremely impressive. Enjoyable to hear you play and watch you.

Thank you Peter.

Matt Olieman

giovdan

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 7:50 am

What a incredible video!
All perfect: performance, sound, video and video-editing; thanks Peter!
Watch a video like this, there is no better advertising for Hauptwerk!

G.D.

PeterB

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 9:11 am

Gee, thanks for the nice comments, everyone! This video was a very quick job and was done using a single camera during a couple of hours in one afternoon. The editing took a little bit longer, about six hours. I used Final Cut Express, which has a timeline and therefore perhaps lends itself better to music video production than iMovie does.

I learnt a few things which might be of use to other YouTube uploaders. First of all, I used a tape-based cam, since these still have the best price/performance ratio (cams with internal disks or solid-state storage must compress the video data which reduces its quality, especially when there is editing to be done in post-production). Import the sound into your video editing program as an AIFF file, not MP3 or AAC. Then, to create a High Definition YouTube video, export the finished result at 1280x720 pixels (no other format works for HD on YouTube) and make sure the sync frame rate matches the camera frame rate. Also make sure deinterlacing is selected when you export in case you used an interlaced format when recording. YouTube will then process the uploaded file and produce a HD video with hifi sound. It took a few attempts before I got this right.

I wanted to insert a couple of head shots to make the video more personal, but it proved impossible to take these myself without looking like a Notre Dame gargoyle — I had no assistants and had to turn the pages and do the registration myself, and it's very frustrating to try to find a good angle when you can't see what you are doing except after the fact. So after experimenting with angles and lighting for an hour or two I gave up in the end. Ah, vanity!

This was fun. In fact, I might just create videos of the remaining four movements of Vierne's Third...
Last edited by PeterB on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

giovdan

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks Peter also for your suggestions; i try it in my next video.
One question: how can you change camera angle when you play while using only one?
Another simple questions, for you, for Brett, etc..... I see MDA demo video with Organ consolles; what
kind of program you use for record the "Organ screen" in live performance?
Sorry, last question: how to insert my user photo in hauptwerk comunity forum?
Thanks and best regards at all!!!

G.D.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Another simple questions, for you, for Brett, etc..... I see MDA demo video with Organ consolles; what
kind of program you use for record the "Organ screen" in live performance?

We used Camtasia Studio (PC) to create those videos. There is also a program called SnapzProX which gives very good results, however it is for Mac only.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

Sorry, last question: how to insert my user photo in hauptwerk comunity forum?

Enter your User Control Panel for this forum (upper left area) click the Profile tab, then click Edit Avatar, Here you can upload an image for your avatar.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

giovdan

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 1:44 pm

Many thanks, Brett!!

PeterB

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Giovanni: the multiple angles were taken in succession, in separate takes, and the cuts and transitions between them were created in post-production, with one of the takes as the primary angle, the other two supplementary. The soundtrack is a live recording, but creating a live recording with multiple camera angles would require multiple cameras and a video production program that can switch between cameras in real time. Final Cut Express can't do that, but Final Cut Studio can. However, it is a question of resources. Final Cut Studio isn't cheap, and one would of course need at least three identical cameras (the one used in the video is a JVC GR-D824). I would at some point like to record something that way.
Last edited by PeterB on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

giovdan

PostThu Aug 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks Peter!

vidarf

PostFri Aug 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Great video - and in very good quality!

A request to all organ boxers on youtube: Show more of the pedal board work! That part of the organ is often neglected, and I feel it shouldn't be - after all, the pedals create the very foundation of the organ with the huge 16' and 32' stops.

PS: anybody seen the video from inside the C on the 32' bombarde on a skinner organ? :)
Next

Return to Performance practice