It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

note? what note

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

GDay

note? what note

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Yo all,
I'm learning a late baroque French piece by Benaut, and there is a bit of notation I am unfamiliar with. A half note playing the octave with a slash through the stem. What does the slash indicate?
G'Day

I still have a few small chickens for sale . . .

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: note? what note

PostMon Aug 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Most likely this is a slide ornament in which you would approach the main note from the 3rd below and playing in the key of the scale with proper accidentals.

http://books.google.com/books?id=7yEUTT ... ue&f=false
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

GDay

PostTue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi Brett,
Thanks for your response.It's not a slide, nor did I find it in the link you posted. I'll keep looking. . .
G'Day

I still have a few small chickens for sale . . .

pwhodges

PostWed Aug 12, 2009 2:41 am

Remember that ornament notation is utterly inconsistent, and very often the best meaning that can be extracted is "it might be nice to do something suitable here" which is entirely context-dependent. The slash (in various positions) is perhaps the most ubiquitous sign of all, and so most liable to this interpretation.

Paul

johnstump_organist

PostMon Aug 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Yes, context is important. Is it a cadence? then probably a tirll is called for. A syncopation, or highlithed spot ini a line, a mordent, single or double, might be appropriate. A note approached from below by a leap, the slide (which is the keyboards attempt to imitiate portatmento) might be called for. Music is art, not science, Once you have studied documents and have tried to learn how play in a style authentically, you must still make a leap of faith, and find a way to make music out of the written notes. Which someitmes means educated guess work.
John

Return to Performance practice