It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:35 am

Dealing with Kampn reverb

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

phulshof

Dealing with Kampn reverb

PostSun Nov 08, 2009 5:49 am

I've played around with the Kampen-Hinsz sample set for a few days now, and I'm still having trouble dealing with the enormous reverb. I often have problems hearing the pedal melody lines, and sometimes get lost in the wall of sound. Any tips on registration/playing that would prove helpful for me here?

imcg110

Re: Dealing with Kampn reverb

PostSun Nov 08, 2009 11:55 am

This is where the action noises come into their own. When I play with a big acoustic or a slow action I find the sound of the key clicks a very important factor in keeping me on the rails as I plough though the bigger and faster pieces. Be aware of the acoustic, but try not to listen to it too much!!

jb

PostMon Nov 16, 2009 9:20 am

The pedal sounds rather soft so in reality the Pedal is very often coupled to the Hoofdwerk. You could further concentrate first on the Rugwerk which is more direct and has a clearer sound. Don't use many stops, even in reality the organ sounds most beautifull with carefully chosen registrations of only a few stops.
I have seen your console on pcorgan.com, it is beautiful but I have some doubts concerning the listening position of the player. If some type of monitors is placed inside your console (behind the black surfaces) I am afraid that this has bad effects on the sound.
This aspect still is the most undeveloped and often problematic aspect of a hw installation. I experienced lately that with a set like Kampen proper placement of monitors is crucial.

phulshof

PostMon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 am

jb wrote:I have seen your console on pcorgan.com, it is beautiful but I have some doubts concerning the listening position of the player. If some type of monitors is placed inside your console (behind the black surfaces) I am afraid that this has bad effects on the sound.
This aspect still is the most undeveloped and often problematic aspect of a hw installation. I experienced lately that with a set like Kampen proper placement of monitors is crucial.

I agree that monitor placement appears to be crucial for Kampen, but the location of the speakers on my organ is actually quite good. The are exactly at ear hight, and can be controlled (they're active speakers) to give a direct sound to the organ player. I've recently changed the settings a little to make the sound more direct, and that was helpful. The subwoofer's placed in the lower right corner, and is only operating at 25% to keep my walls in one piece. :)

I'll do some more tests with my AKG K-701 headphones this week (I just got them) to see if using headphones improves the clarity or not. If so, I may change the settings of the speakers a bit more.

Return to Performance practice