It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 pm

How much can you spread your fingers?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

pat17

Re: How much can you spread your fingers?

PostWed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 am

Bagnew wrote:I can stretch to a 10th without much discomfort, as long as both notes are white notes (unless there the keyboard has a different colour scheme, so I suppose it would be best to put natural notes!). I have noticed, though, as have others that as time progresses, so does my playable range with one hand.

I have tested the other day my own ability, and I can perform a 9th without any problem. But the 10th.... ouch... :lol:

Thanks Brendan! 8)

pat17

PostWed Apr 07, 2010 12:18 am

3dOrganist wrote:I have heard that there is a reputation among some French organists in particular for having a large hand span. While there are differences in hand sizes, stretching exercises can increase the keyboard span to some extent.

Interesting. That would explain why a transcription done by a French would include such a torture for the left hand... :wink:

In EP Biggs transcription, only the chorale melody is played in the left hand. The inner part indicated in your score is played in the right hand, along with the "pretty part", but is played as G-C-C instead of G-C-G for a more complete harmony. (The middle C is not played at all.)

Thanks for this suggestion Mark... 8)

Your transcription involves less compromise in the adaption of the choral parts, which would be more musically satisfying if you can achieve it.

For the time being, I'm afraid it would be above my abilities, unfortunately... :oops:

Thanks for sharing an interesting problem.

Thanks to you for sharing your knowledge, Mark! 8)

pat17

PostMon Apr 19, 2010 5:44 am

After trying hard (it was even painful at the beginning), I can now play the C-G-E combination now, with an improving precision. It's not perfect though, and for the time being I'm playing it without shift the G to C. But I guss with more work, I shall eventually be able to do something decent about it. :wink:

It's quite amazing to see how we can progress with just a few days of practice - when I opened this thread two weeks ago I was almost convinced it was just impossible. :D

Thanks to all of you for your help and support! 8)
Previous

Return to Performance practice