It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 pm

How can I reduce mistakes while playing?

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

scottherbert

Re: How can I reduce mistakes while playing?

PostSun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

I studied with several excellant teachers in my youth and was relatively proficient with Bach, Buxtehude and the ubiquitous Widor toccata. Things change and I had to persue a career to put food on the table. I persued that career, got married, was expecting our first child when everything changed again.

I woke up in intensive care to the news that I had been electrocuted. Deep burns took some major muscles in my arms, nerve damage to my spinal cord and hands, my vision was effected, as well as a large amount of my brain being damaged leaving my right side weak.

Nearly 30 years later my blessed wife seT me up with a Hauptwerk setup to be able to play again. She says the movement alone is good therapy but the joy multiplies it! It is hard work and I tire quickly. Sometimes I can play well but mostly I struggle. It can be hard to practice when you suddenly forget what you're doing or your eyes start jiggling and you lose your place on the page. But I've read your suggestions on how to practice and perhaps with a little more self-forgiveness and structure I may regain more! :roll:

Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

ernst

PostMon Apr 16, 2012 9:55 am

Hello Scott,

What a moving story, and what a blessing you still get that sort of support! Though I suffered none of the serious problems you describe, many of us on this forum have their particular sort of limitations.
I never was really proficient and studied (some) piano rather than organ, And where I live are no organ teachers. I lost the vision almost completely in one eye (and really it spoils it for the other eye now) and the other eye has swirling things in the eye liquid that hampers sight at time. So sometimes I just can't read the music when my fingers are getting to that spot, and I have to gamble or wait until my sight gets back...
But still it is a great joy to play, in my own simple way, some of our organ literature.

Thanks for sharing your story and I wish you all the best with your practicing.
Ernst

Organduo

PostSun Jul 29, 2012 4:00 am

I've written some articles about eliminating mistakes in organ playing which you may find useful:
Titles include:
What is the Secret of Eliminating Mistakes in Organ Playing?
How Attention to Detail Can Help You Eliminate Mistakes in Organ Playing?
How to Eliminate Mistakes in Organ Playing?
And many more on various problems in organ playing.
Here is the link:
http://www.organduo.lt/1/category/elimi ... kes/1.html
Vidas Pinkevicius, DMA
Secrets of Organ Playing -
Down-to-earth tips and advice about how to play the organ
www.organduo.lt
Previous

Return to Performance practice