It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:48 am

Bach's Little Prelude & Fugue No. 1 BWV 553

Playing or learning the organ, hints, tips and tricks, registrations, techniques, fingerings, ...
  • Author

desmondk

Bach's Little Prelude & Fugue No. 1 BWV 553

PostSun Jan 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm taking up organ again after a twenty-year hiatus. I figured I would start with Bach's Little Prelude & Fugue No. 1 (BWV 553), which I used to know. On the whole, it's going pretty well, but there's one place where I can't figure out a fingering I like: the second half of bar 49, in the fugue, specifically the right hand.

Here's what I'm doing: In the second half of bar 48, I start with 1-3 on the E-G, go to 2-5 on the D-B, then 1 on the final E. Starting 49, I use 2-3 on the F#-A, ending with 2-5 on the F#-C. So far so good, but then the second half of 49 is a bear: 1-3 on the G#-B, to 1-2 on the second G#-B, leading into 4 on the following D.

The only plausible alternative I've found is to play the treble-clef G#s in the second half of 49 with left 1, and the bass G#-As with left 5-4, but this forces a sort of spider-walk with the left hand in the second half of 48 and the first half of 49.

Can anyone suggest a better way of doing this?

Many thanks.

GWBeem

Re: Bach's Little Prelude & Fugue No. 1 BWV 553

PostSun Jan 29, 2012 7:19 pm

When I play this piece, my fingering is exactly as you laid out. Your alternative fingering from my perspective is actually more cumbersome unless you have large hands. There are times when the left hand needs to carry notes in the treble clef and vise versa, but I don't think this is one of those times.

I would continue using the fingering you have laid out but at the end of mea. 48, make a slight break or "lift" going into beat one of mea. 49 and again after beat two of mea. 49 going into beat three. This will accomplish two things: first, it allows room for your hand position to shift and fingers to get into there new position. Second, it creates an articulation that emphasizes beats one and three and helps give the passage some extra rhythmic vitality.

Fingering is essential to good performance. Some things are easy to finger and others can be a bear. There are certain "rules" that govern good fingering but in the end you need to find those fingerings that come most natural and efficient to you and stick to it with plenty if slow practice until your muscles take over automatically.

Hope this helps,
Greg

desmondk

PostMon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Taking small breaks definitely helps. As will, no doubt, practice. My hands are a bit stiff after 20 years! Many thanks!

Organduo

PostSun Jul 29, 2012 4:40 am

This is my article about mastering BWV 553 in 8 easy steps which you may find useful:
http://www.organduo.lt/1/post/2011/12/h ... -of-2.html
Vidas Pinkevicius, DMA
Secrets of Organ Playing -
Down-to-earth tips and advice about how to play the organ
www.organduo.lt

Return to Performance practice