It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 10:31 am

Issue with Loading Myco COD

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

soyeso

Issue with Loading Myco COD

PostWed Feb 05, 2014 10:51 am

I have made some COD organs using Myco 2013. Suppose I have two Myco organs, A and B. If I install A, HW calls it Myco 2013. If I then install organ B and want to return to using A, HW will treat it as a new install each time. I give A and B unique names, and have tried giving unique numbers, but I cannot move from one to the other without installing all ranks each time. I read HW 4 users guide, and about COD organs, but cannot find what I am doing to cause this issue, which is probably something very simple. Thanks for any support.
Tom

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Issue with Loading Myco COD

PostWed Feb 05, 2014 11:37 am

We don't use or know how Myco works, so you need to contact its author if you need help with using it. Presumably it is just assigning the same internal ID which will cause the cache to reload each time, for help with this please contact the Myco author since this is not something we can offer support for as it is not a product of ours.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

soyeso

PostWed Feb 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Brett,

Naturally, that is what I did first. He told me it's an HW issue, that I can use "Load/Assign" function to save a particular Myco-created organ into one of the 32 memories, but that appears to me to have to do with registration rather than custom organ definitions. But I will try it tomorrow.
Tom

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Hello Tom,

I think the reason for the files being re-cached each time is because each of your organ definition files are sharing the same ID or the same file names. Again we do not know how Myco works or what settings it has so if you are relying on this program to create the CODM files we cannot help any further than above. You would need to ask the Myco author how to change the internal IDs for the ODFs or if it's related to file names how to save unique file names for each file. There are no bugs in Hauptwerk for this and being that you are using a fairly unknown third party program I think it's likely you need to look further there.

The 32 organ load memories have nothing to do with this issue and they simply allow you to quickly load an organ calling upon whichever organ is saved in that memory slot based on the ODF file name. Rather the ODF files you are using and the internal IDs or perhaps even file names which I presume are created by Myco are the most likely cause for your problem. Sorry I cannot be of further help, however we cannot support third party software in this case.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

wos

PostThu Feb 06, 2014 8:55 am

Hello Brett,

A user of my German forum has this effect sometimes (without MYCO).
After some time, he found out that he must cancel the dialog "Rank Audio / Memory Options and Routing" when loading an instrument. Then when reloaded the sampleset everything works normally.

This could be a Hauptwerk issue. For me, this case has never occurred.

Best regards
wos

mdyde

PostSat Feb 08, 2014 7:25 am

soyeso wrote:I have made some COD organs using Myco 2013. Suppose I have two Myco organs, A and B. If I install A, HW calls it Myco 2013. If I then install organ B and want to return to using A, HW will treat it as a new install each time. I give A and B unique names, and have tried giving unique numbers, but I cannot move from one to the other without installing all ranks each time. I read HW 4 users guide, and about COD organs, but cannot find what I am doing to cause this issue, which is probably something very simple. Thanks for any support.

Hello soyeso,

I too have never tried Myco, but my understanding is (and expectation would be) that it simply generates Custom Organ Design Module (CODM) organ definition files (ODFs) in the [HauptwerkUserData]/CustomOrganDefinitions folder, and doesn't generate or change any files in any other Hauptwerk folders. Assuming so:

By Hauptwerk treating the organs as a 'new install' presumably you're referring to it regenerating the sample set cache each time? And/or to showing the rank audio/routing screen each time? Which option on the Hauptwerk menu do you choose to load those organs? If you use 'Design tools | Load custom organ' each time, then it will show you the 'Load Organ Design Options' screen and use whatever preferences you select there with regard to whether to regenerate the cache, etc.

Or if you're loading the organs each time via 'Organ | Load organ' then as Brett mentioned, Hauptwerk will intentionally keep regenerating the cache if you're switching between two organ definition files of different filenames that have the same OrganID (corresponding to the _General.UniqueOrganID attribute in a CODM ODF). Hence if you have two different organs it's essential that you give them different filenames *and also* assign them different _General.UniqueOrganID values in their CODM ODFs (the 'Globally-unique organ identifiers and making organ definitions available to others' section in the CODM user's guide covers that). Presumably there's an option in Myco in which you can specify those things.

In general, for any two different CODM ODFs you should ensure that the following _General attributes are unique:

- UniqueOrganID (*must* be unique, and in the 800000-899999 range).
- Name.
- ShortName.
- OrganDefinitionFilenameExcludingExtension (also *must* be unique).

... as well as the CODM ODFs filename itself.

If either UniqueOrganID or OrganDefinitionFilenameExcludingExtension are the same in two different CODM ODFs then the sample set cache would be expected to regenerate each time that you switch between them, which is the correct and intended behaviour (since the caches and settings are stored by organ IDs).

Does that solve it for you, when using 'Organ | Load organ' to re-load the organs subsequently?

wos wrote:A user of my German forum has this effect sometimes (without MYCO).
After some time, he found out that he must cancel the dialog "Rank Audio / Memory Options and Routing" when loading an instrument. Then when reloaded the sampleset everything works normally.

This could be a Hauptwerk issue. For me, this case has never occurred.

Hello wos,

I very much doubt that would be related to soyeso's issue. The most common reason for people having sample set caches regenerate every time they load an organ via 'Organ | Load organ' is that their computer's clock is set significantly incorrectly, or was set significantly incorrectly when they last changed some audio or rank settings. (For example, as a result of the battery on their PC's motherboard not working properly, so that their PC's date keeps resetting.) When determining whether a sample set cache needs to be regenerated, Hauptwerk compares the timestamps of its sample set caches against the timestamps that the audio and rank settings were last changed.

Assuming that user has a current licence for Hauptwerk, if they want to send us a technical support request ( http://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/support/ ) with diagnostic file next time it happens then we should be able to confirm the precise reason from the diagnostic file.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

soyeso

PostSat Feb 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Martin and others,
Many thanks for your attention to this issue. I tried the suggestions given (if I understood correctly), but even though I give two Myco-created organs different names and ID numbers, HW sees only "Myco 2013" as the COD instruments, no matter what I name them (Load screen). If I load organ A and then B, HW only lists the last one loaded as "Myco 2013" in the load screen. HW does give the correct name and number in its list of Custom Organ Definitions.

By Hauptwerk treating the organs as a 'new install' presumably you're referring to it regenerating the sample set cache each time? And/or to showing the rank audio/routing screen each time? Which option on the Hauptwerk menu do you choose to load those organs? If you use 'Design tools | Load custom organ' each time, then it will show you the 'Load Organ Design Options' screen and use whatever preferences you select there with regard to whether to regenerate the cache, etc.

The ONLY option I have is to load the LAST Myco organ installed. There is no possibility to load organ A after loading organ B. Organ A disappears from the list of installed organs to load, and the list says simply "Myco 2013".

The creator of Myco wrote:
What I explained to you is not relative to registration but to custom organs.
Once you have made a Myco organ, load it one time only with the menu "design tools"
Then save it in one of the 32 memory as showed in the latest picture I sent to you
Save it as a normal organ, with the menu "files/save any unsaved settings"
When you want to recall this organ , use the button "Load" or the menu "organ/load organ" or "organ/load recent organ"

I was not able to save the organ in one of the 32 memories.
I made a diagnostic file which I am sending in a few minutes.

Many thanks,
Tom

mdyde

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:35 am

Hello again Soyeso,

I've had a quick look through your diagnostic file and the problem simply seems to be that both of your Myco-generated CODM ODFs (which have filenames 'D1-(890003).CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml' and 'Caen 1-(890000).CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml') have their _General.OrganDefinitionFilenameExcludingExtension attributes set to exactly the same value of 'MYCO 2013'.

Hence both of them compile to 'full-format' ODFs with the same filenames, overwriting each other each time, which would be expected to cause the sample set caches to be regenerated.

Presumably you can set that attribute somewhere in Myco. If so, then you need to set it to different names in each of them (since that attribute determines the names that the generated ODFs will have) -- contact Myco's author for help with that if needed. If you can't set that attribute in Myco then you need to raise that as a bug in Myco with Myco's author.

soyeso wrote:The creator of Myco wrote:
What I explained to you is not relative to registration but to custom organs.
Once you have made a Myco organ, load it one time only with the menu "design tools"
Then save it in one of the 32 memory as showed in the latest picture I sent to you
Save it as a normal organ, with the menu "files/save any unsaved settings"
When you want to recall this organ , use the button "Load" or the menu "organ/load organ" or "organ/load recent organ"
I was not able to save the organ in one of the 32 memories.

I think he's referring to assigning the compiled organ to one of Hauptwerk's 32 'favorite' organ slots. However, they're effectively just short-cuts for loading organs which achieve the same result as using the 'Organ | Load organ' menu function (see also the 'The Organ Menu: Loading Organs' section in the Hauptwerk user guide). Those 32 'favorite' slots aren't necessary (they're just short-cuts) and they aren't relevant to the problem you're having.

Also you should never actually need to use the 'File | Save any unsaved changes (Hauptwerk auto-saves anyway' menu function that he refers to -- as its name implies Hauptwerk will always save your changes anyway. Here's the excerpt from the Hauptwerk user guide ('The file menu' section on page 68 of the v4.0.0 guide) that covers that:

It should never be necessary to use the Save any unsaved settings (Hauptwerk auto-saves periodically anyway) function. Hauptwerk always saves any unsaved settings or voicing changes when it exits, and also when you load or unload a sample set, and also before performing any other action that might risk a computer problem being encountered, such as starting an audio or MIDI driver or loading a large amount of data
into memory. This menu function is mainly provided just in case you want to force any settings or voicing changes to be saved immediately, rather than waiting for the next point at which Hauptwerk would save them, for example if you were worried about the possibility of a power failure after having made a lot of voicing changes.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

soyeso

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Martin,

Thanks so much for your help with this issue. I have sent your comments to the originator of Myco, and he is looking into his codes. I am grateful for the support!

Regards,
Tom

BachsFugue

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 1:46 am

I downloaded the MYCO 2013 software as I am interested in designing custom instruments. I also searched for a solution to Tom's problem.

What popped out at me were Lines 8 through 11 in the CustomOrganDefinitions\Myco Organ-(890000).CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml file.

Here are the lines:
08 <UniqueOrganID>890000</UniqueOrganID>
09 <Name>Myco Organ [Make Your Custom Organ]</Name>
10 <ShortName>Myco Organ</ShortName>
11 <OrganDefinitionFilenameExcludingExtension>MYCO 2013
          </OrganDefinitionFilenameExcludingExtension>

In the trial version of MYCO, all four lines remained the same. You need to change them for each organ definition by editing the Custom Organ Definition. The file name also needs to be modified (Myco Organ-(890000).CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml). Without these changes, the generated full organ definition file is being overwritten by subsequent custom organs.

I made the changes in the \Hauptwerk\HauptwerkUserData\CustomOrganDefinitions folder after finishing in MYCO.

Hauptwerk doesn't make up the names or numbers. The user assigns them.

I hope this helps, Tom.
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

soyeso

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 6:19 pm

OK, that suggestion works well. Since I don't churn out lots of CD organs, this work-around is a good solution, thanks. I am awaiting word from the originator of Myco. All in all Myco is a quick way to create CODs as long as you have or can create Pattern files.
Thanks for the support.

soyeso

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 7:12 am

Just want to add the following: While Myco is an aid in preparing custom organs, much more knowledge and time are needed to do it successfully than to simply use this program.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)