It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 am

HW AutoTune

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

chr.schmitz

HW AutoTune

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 3:34 am

Hi,

when combining ranks from Caen and Metz in one CODM, the stops are out of tune, if <Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch> is set to 0 for all ranks.

I thought, that if this parameter is set to 0, HW automatically adjusts the tuning of ranks (if it detects pitch information in the sound files). Or does that mean, that sound files of one sample set do not provide exact pitch information?

Is this a situation, where the parameter <Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch>should be set to 2 to 128 and where <Pitch_PipeMIDINoteNum036_TuningAdjustPercentSemitones> comes into play?

Best, Chris

mdyde

Re: HW AutoTune

PostTue Dec 22, 2015 7:15 am

Hello Chris,

The Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch attribute is used to tell Hauptwerk how to determine the pitch of the sample files. This is the relevant excerpt from the CODM user guide for it:

Hauptwerk must know the exact pitch of each sample so that the required amount of re-pitching can be calculated to play the organ with any user-selected temperament. The sample set creator can either have detected the exact pitch of the samples and saved them into the sample files, or have re-tuned the samples perfectly to concert pitch (A=440 Hz) and equal temperament.

In the former case, this parameter should be set to zero (in which case Hauptwerk will read the sample pitches from the samples themselves). In the latter case (samples tuned to A-440/equal) then this value gives the pitch of the samples by specifying the harmonic number that they represent, relative to the fundamental of a 64' stop. For example, if the samples were recorded from a 4' rank, then the pitch of the samples is considered to be 4', which corresponds to the sixteenth harmonic of a 64' pipe, and thus 16 should be specified for this setting

Provided that the sample set producer has designed the sample set to be compatible with the CODM (which we highly recommend in the sample set creator's guide), you should be able to see the correct value to use by looking in the CustomOrganRank in the package definition file that contains the samples, and if that value is used in your CODM ODF then the ranks should automatically be in tune.

If that isn't the case then I think that one of the sample sets must:

- Have incorrect pitch values stored in its samples, and/or:

- Not have had its samples tuned perfectly to A-440/equal.

If both of those are true then the sample set doesn't doesn't adhere to the guidelines in our sample set creator's guide and isn't properly compatible with the CODM, since there's no way that Hauptwerk can know the pitch of the samples, and thus no way it can work out reliably how much re-pitching would be required in order for the pipes to sound correctly at any temperament and base pitch chosen by the user. No amount of fiddling with the output pitch settings for the rank is likely to compensate for that properly.

Looking in the package definition file for the Notre Dame de Metz, the CustomOrganRank entry says that Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch should be set to 0, indicating that the correct pitch will have been stored in the samples, which I'm sure is the case anyway for all Milan Digital Audio sample sets.

I don't seem to have a copy of the v2 Caen, but from an older version I have, the package definition file doesn't have any entries in its CustomOrganRank table, so I'd suggest contacting its maker (Jiri -- Sonus Paradisi) for whether the sample set has the correct pitches stored in its samples, or whether its samples are tuned to A-440/equal, or neither.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 8:11 am

Hello Martin,

thank you very much for your explanation. I read the passage, which you cited, many times before. However, I first understood the important nuances of some information after your additional comments. For example, I was not aware, that the XML file in the package folder contains such important information.

And yes, Metz and Caen have different entries in the package XML. Therefore the ranks of these two sample sets obviously behave differently in CODMs.

Again, thanks a lot!
Chris

mdyde

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 8:49 am

Thanks, Chris.

Glad it helped.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)