It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

How are screens told what to display

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

jlefevre1

How are screens told what to display

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 4:21 pm

I am working on the St. Annes. I want to modify the vertical ( portriate ) landscape screens for the left and right jambs. What I want to do is rerange things and get rid of the pistons. I have setermied how to edit the background bit map and edit the stops graphics and position the stops with x and y coordinates. What I cannot find is where in the code that calls the pistons to be displayed so I can turn that off and they will not be called to be put on the page. I have read the organ design manual. I have looked at the examples. I think it is in the display 2 section under alternate display 1 . However I cannot find the actual working file that corresponds to the example file. I think I could make the changes but I cannot find the file that Hauptwerk actually uses for the Organ.

mdyde

Re: How are screens told what to display

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 3:18 am

Hello James,

jlefevre1 wrote:However I cannot find the actual working file that corresponds to the example file. I think I could make the changes but I cannot find the file that Hauptwerk actually uses for the Organ.

Everything that defines an organ in the Custom Organ Design Module (CODM) is within its CODM organ definition (your XML file in the HauptwerkUserData/CustomOrganDefinitions folder, with file extension .CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml). That's the only file you need to edit.

Then when you use 'Design tools | Load custom organ' Hauptwerk will pick up any changes that you've made to the file.

jlefevre1 wrote:What I cannot find is where in the code that calls the pistons to be displayed so I can turn that off and they will not be called to be put on the page. I have read the organ design manual. I have looked at the examples. I think it is in the display 2 section under alternate display 1 .

Whether, and where, general combination pistons are displayed are determined by the following groups of attributes of the _General table/entity:

_General.CustomDisplay1_Generals_...
_General.CustomDisplay1_GeneralCancel_...
_General.CustomDisplay2_Generals_...
_General.CustomDisplay2_GeneralCancel_...

The corresponding groups of attributes for divisional combinations are specified for the Division table/entity:

Division.CustomDisplay1_Divisionals_...
Division.CustomDisplay1_DivisionalCancel_...
Division.CustomDisplay2_Divisionals_...
Division.CustomDisplay2_DivisionalCancel_...

They're covered in the sections on those two tables in the CODM user's guide.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jlefevre1

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Tat file is not there. All of the files in that folder are examples. None of them are used to build the default St. Annes Organ. So I am still Lost. I need to know where the actual file is that is used to build the default St. Annes Organ. That is the one I need to modify.

josq

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 8:46 pm

I'm sure editing the default St Annes is not supported. The big advantage of keeping the default unchanged is that you have a known and thoroughly tested reference in case any trouble occurs.

So building the CODM from scratch is the way to go and you can choose one of the CODM example files as a solid start.

mdyde

PostThu Jul 14, 2016 3:58 am

jlefevre1 wrote:at file is not there. All of the files in that folder are examples. None of them are used to build the default St. Annes Organ. So I am still Lost. I need to know where the actual file is that is used to build the default St. Annes Organ. That is the one I need to modify.

Hello James,

The CODM version of the St. Anne's organ is this file:

../HauptwerkUserData/CustomOrganDefinitions/ExampleCustomOrgan6-StAnnes-WithAllFrills.CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml

You can load it using 'Design tools | Load custom organ'. (The CODM user's guide covers how to load and edit CODM organ definitions in depth.)

Make a copy of the file, and use it as the basis for your own modifications.

Please don't try to edit the main/default St. Anne's ( ../HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/OrganDefinitions/StAnnesMoseley.Organ_Hauptwerk_xml ) directly -- that file isn't intended to be user-editable, and it (along with its sample and image files) are core parts of the Hauptwerk installation that need to remain intact (and will be overwritten every time you run the Hauptwerk installer, and attempting to edit the St. Anne's components directly may break other organs, and isn't supported).

Base your version on a copy of the CODM version of St. Anne's ( ../HauptwerkUserData/CustomOrganDefinitions/ExampleCustomOrgan6-StAnnes-WithAllFrills.CustomOrgan_Hauptwerk_xml ) instead, and put all of your new/modified image/WAV files in a separate installation package folder of your own, using the 'user' ID range of 800000-899999.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jlefevre1

PostThu Jul 14, 2016 2:22 pm

Unfortunately the example for the St. annes , even the one with all the whistles and bells, is still sorely lacking in its graphics and features. The default one is the one I want to modify slightly, and that is the file that is not on the distribution.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)