It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am

Making Hauptwerk Sample Sets

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

csw900

Making Hauptwerk Sample Sets

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 2:34 am

To CODM experts

I am thinking about using CODM to make a Hauptwerk version of a Wurlitzer
Band Organ.

I have excellent Band Organ Samples in .sf2 format.

How do I convert these so they will work with a CODM organ.

csw900

mdyde

Re: Making Hauptwerk Sample Sets

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 4:30 am

Hello csw900,

(Topic moved here.)

Thanks for the interest in releasing a sample set.

The CODM user's guide (on the Help menu in Hauptwerk) covers everything you'd need to know about creating the organ definition itself.

For formatting and packaging the samples for public release, you'd also need a copy of our sample set creators guide, which we make available privately on request to licensed users. Can I first just verify whether you actually have a licence for Hauptwerk (either the Advanced Edition or Basic Edition -- the Free/evaluation version doesn't count, I'm afraid)?

We'd also need to assign unique developer ID ranges to you, which we can also do (for no charge) if you have a licence.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

csw900

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 5:44 am

Hi Martin

I did look for the right place to put my post by searching for "sample" but nothing
useful came up.

I never said that I was planning to release it, even if I did it would be free as I have
no interest in the business side of organs.

I already knew where to find the organ design data but this is no use without
a sample set to go with it, hence the question.

Useful information but you have not answered my question.

Is there a developer out there who can tell me about converting .sf2 to hauptwerk format.
I know that it is technically possible by hand but is there any software available to do
the job.

Thanks anyway
csw900

ggoode_sa

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 6:48 am

Hi,

Soundfonts typically share samples over many notes, whereas an Hauptwerk sample set will have one sample per note (some even have more than one sample per note). Soundfonts also have parameters that adjust the attack and release shape of the sample, where-as Hauptwerk has recorded attacks and releases.

Soundfont editors (like Viena http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html, or Polyphone http://www.polyphone.fr/ can be used to export the samples from the soundfont, but if there are a lot of settings used to create the sound in the soundfont (as there are more 'synthesizing' options in the soundfont format) then the actual samples may not sound like what you're used to hearing.

The easiest way to get a good HW sample set from a soundfont is to record each note of the soundfont rank, and then add the loops and release markers that are needed for a Hauptwerk sample set. There are software 'samplers' available that can be configured to send a MIDI Note on signal for a pre-specified time and then send the MIDI Note off signal (i.e. SampleRobot or Samplit). Using one of these would make the conversion from soundfont to HW sample set easier. You'd still have to program the set using the CODM, but the sample work would be almost all automated.

Let me know if you need some further input.
GrahamG

csw900

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 5:22 am

Hi Graham

I have used Viena for making sound fonts but have not discovered any way to make it
export samples. My version can export presets and as I have never used this I do not
know what it will produce -- but I suspect nothing of much use for this project.

Every time I start Viena they tell me there is a new version which I never accept because
what I already have does what I need. Perhaps the new version can export samples?
Mine is .972 and they are offering .992 so they must have done something.

Thanks for the information anyway . It looks like I will have to play the notes and record them. A job
for the long Winter evenings I think.

Anyway now I know for sure it can be done I will have a look at producing the CODM
framework.

csw900

telemanr

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 7:22 am

There is a list of what each update has improved or fixed (a great number of bugs it seems) at
http://www.synthfont.com/Viena_news.html.
Rob Enns

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)