It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

CODM gurus: what does this do?

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

mmayse

CODM gurus: what does this do?

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 3:24 pm

Greetings!

I'm polishing my first CODM organ, and there's a parameter that puzzles me. What does <Position_RankDistanceFromListenerMetres> do? What it means is obvious, but if I change that number, what happens? I can't really hear much of a difference but that doesn't mean much. I may be doing it wrong.

Thanks so much! I've got other CODM questions that I'll be posting as I go along.

Max

Morse

Re: CODM gurus: what does this do?

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi Max,

That parameter doesn't do anything if you have stereo samples. In that case, the stereo field is set by the samples themselves. If you have monaural samples and specify them to play in a stereo rank, Hauptwerk spreads the notes across an artificial stereo field. That is, some notes to the left and some notes to the right. If the distance is small, the perceived angle will seem large. If the distance is large, all notes will seem closer together. Set the value to 999 and the perceived angle is about zero and the rank will seem to be monaural.
Al Morse

mdyde

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 5:48 am

Hello Max,

To confirm/add to Al Morse's reply: the documentation for those Rank.Position_... attributes can also be found in the 'Rank' table's section in the CODM user's guide (page 64 in the current v4.2.1 version).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mmayse

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 4:35 pm

Thank you both! That answers it! That's why it didn't seem to make a difference when I changed that parameter.

Thanks!

Max

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)