It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

Compass of keyboards

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

chr.schmitz

Compass of keyboards

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Is it possible to increase the compass of a division but leave the original compass of the keyboard on the virtual console?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

mdyde

Re: Compass of keyboards

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 5:23 am

Hello Chris,

If I recall correctly, yes: you should just need to set the following attributes appropriately for the Division object:

Division.NumberOfKeys
Division.MIDINoteNumOfFirstKey
Division.NumberOfKeyActionNodesIfDifferentFromNumberOfKeys
Division.MIDINoteNumOfFirstKeyActionNodeIfDifferentFromFirstKey
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 6:37 am

Unfortunately this did not work as expected.

Division.NumberOfKeys seems to be responsible for the numbers of keys drawn on the virtual console.

Division.NumberOfKeyActionNodesIfDifferentFromNumberOfKeys is responsible for the number of "speaking keys" on the virtual keyboard.

If I set Division.NumberOfKeys to 61 and Division.NumberOfKeyActionNodesIfDifferentFromNumberOfKeys to 58, I see 61 keys on the virtual keyboard, but only 58 keys are sounding. This is what I expected.

However, it did not work the other way around (Division.NumberOfKeys = 58 and Division.NumberOfKeyActionNodesIfDifferentFromNumberOfKeys = 61) :( The virtual keyboard has 58 keys (expected), but there were only 58 sounding keys (unexpected).

BTW: I loaded ranks and stops with 61 NumberOfPipes and MappedDivisionKeys.

Chris

mdyde

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 6:51 am

Hello Chris,

Division.NumberOfKeys sets the number of keys that are displayed on the screen and playable via MIDI.

Division.NumberOfKeyActionNodesIfDifferentFromNumberOfKeys sets the number of key action nodes that are accessible by any means (e.g. directly from the screen/MIDI keyboard, within the compass defined by Division.NumberOfKeys, or indirectly via coupling, with whatever compass the coupling source defines).

Hence if you set Division.NumberOfKeyActionNodesIfDifferentFromNumberOfKeys greater than Division.NumberOfKeys then the additional key action nodes wouldn't be playable directly from the same division (via the screen or direct MIDI input to that division's keyboard), but they would be available for coupling to other divisions/keyboards. That's how it's intended to work.

The CODM doesn't (also) have support for a given virtual keyboard being playable via MIDI with a larger compass than the compass displayed for it on the screen, i.e. it doesn't support displaying only a subset of a given virtual keyboard's keys.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chr.schmitz

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 6:55 am

Martin,

thank you very much for the quick response!

I wanted to use it in order to increase the compass of an organ without changing the beautiful photorealistic console.

Best, Chris

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)