It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 am

Trigger menu functions by console pistons?

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

dfuchs

Trigger menu functions by console pistons?

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 7:34 am

I was wondering if it's possible to trigger a menu function (shut down the computer) from a control on a virtual console. (I've bought a touch screen, but the HW menu is just too small to operate with my fingers.) I suspect that it would be possible using a MIDI loop (place a dummy stop switch on the console, make it output a MIDI signal to my external hardware, route the MIDI output back to the computer and make the incoming signal trigger the menu). However, I'd need a spare MIDI output and input just for that. Is there a way to program the action in a CODF?

Best regards,
Daniel
There's nothing special about it. You only have to hit the right note at the right time, then the instrument will play all on its own. -- Bach

mdyde

Re: Trigger menu functions by console pistons?

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 9:24 am

Hello Daniel,

You can assign almost any menu function to Hauptwerk's piston toolbars ('View | Piston toolbars (for this organ)'. (Right-click on a toolbar piston to re-assign its function.)

Does that solve it?

(It's also possible to trigger menu functions from virtual switches in 'full-format' organ definitions, but not within the CODM.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dfuchs

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 11:51 am

Hello Martin,
Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't know that you can configure the piston toolbars that way. However, I don't want a whole toolbar, so I'll see if I can find a hardware solution.
In the long term, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a mini control panel with a shutdown button? As it would be a dangerous thing to touch, it could show a 'confirm' dialog box before actually exiting the program...

Thanks and best regards,
Daniel
There's nothing special about it. You only have to hit the right note at the right time, then the instrument will play all on its own. -- Bach

mdyde

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks, Daniel.

dfuchs wrote:In the long term, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a mini control panel with a shutdown button? As it would be a dangerous thing to touch, it could show a 'confirm' dialog box before actually exiting the program...

Thanks for the suggestion. I've logged it as an enhancement request for future consideration.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

OrganoPleno

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 5:18 pm

dfuchs wrote:However, I don't want a whole toolbar, so I'll see if I can find a hardware solution.l

Since there is a Hauptwerk Menu Function for shutting down the computer... how about doing a right-click on that Menu Function and then assign it to a piston on your console? Again, try not to trigger that piston by mistake while playing...

By the way, maybe you can use a MOUSE on your touch-screen and then avoid the problem of menus being too small for fingers. That's what I do.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)