It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

Before I begin....

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Glenn English

Before I begin....

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 2:16 pm

I'm in the very early stages of looking at the CODM - ultimately what I'd like to do is assemble a custom organ based on the Caen dry samples (which I own) with the addition of a couple of celestes and perhaps a few of the dry ranks from other organs which are available as free samples (probably a foolhardy undertaking)...
The visuals of the user interface aren't important to me at this stage.
Is it correct to say that I begin by saving a copy of the simplest St Annes custom .xml and then edit each rank, stop and stop rank table to point towards the Caen samples that I want to use ? (of course additional entries will also be required, as the new organ will have more stops than the st annes)
Is it also fair to say that Hauptwerk's native registration tools can take care of all the general & divisional pistons and coupling duties, hence rendering the relevant tables in the custom .xml redundant (in other words, can I leave out the <coupler> tables completely ?
Needless to say I'm looking for functionality here, rather than historical accuracy - I have no need for ventils or any such period controls.

I'd imagine that almost no-one starts typing a custom .xml from scratch, do they ?

josq

Re: Before I begin....

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 4:31 pm

Dear Glenn, somewhere in the past I have programmed quite a bit with the CODM, and as you propose, I have started by editing one of the custom files for the St Annes (saving it as a separate file, of course).

The CODM comes with many coupler possibilities that are not available in Hauptwerks native registration utilities, including through-coupling and unison off couplers. See the CODM user guide.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Hello Glenn,

Using a copy of one of the smaller example CODM ODFs as a basis is as good a starting point as any.
Stops, couplers and tremulants need to have their StoreInDivisionalCombinations and StoreInGeneralCombinations attributes set as appropriate, and the CODM automatically generates 20 generals, and 20 divisionals per division anyway (although you don't necessarily have to bother displaying them). You could certainly use Hauptwerk's 'master combinations' (master generals, scoped combinations, stepper, etc.) instead of the generated generals and divisionals, if so preferred.

As josq mentioned, the CODM's native couplers allow more complex types of coupling than Hauptwerk's 'master couplers', but the master couplers could potentially suffice for basic/standard coupling duties.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Glenn English

PostSat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 am

Hi Brett,

Yes, I think the native Hauptwerk functions will be sufficient for my requirements, but of course as and when I become more confident I can add sophistication as desired.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Glenn.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)