It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:00 pm

Questions from newbie CODM user

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

jmoboe

Questions from newbie CODM user

PostTue Jan 15, 2008 4:08 pm

I have a couple of questions about the CODM.

1- I have set up a console that has quite a number of couplers and pistons. I would like to use them with different organs, some of which do not have the corresponding controls installed. For instance, St-Anne does not have general pistons. Do I use one of the custom organs based on St-Anne to implement the extra pistons? How do I get custom organ definitions for other organs? Do I have to define them from scratch?

2- If I use the custom organ St-Anne ODFs, do I lose the original wind model parameters?

mdyde

PostTue Jan 15, 2008 4:18 pm

1- I have set up a console that has quite a number of couplers and pistons. I would like to use them with different organs, some of which do not have the corresponding controls installed. For instance, St-Anne does not have general pistons. Do I use one of the custom organs based on St-Anne to implement the extra pistons? How do I get custom organ definitions for other organs? Do I have to define them from scratch?

Yes - if you want to make any changes to an organ definition you need to use the CODM.

All CODM organs automatically have 20 divisional pistons per division and 20 general pistons available via MIDI, although they needn't all be displayed of the virtual console screen.

The CODM versions of St. Anne's are included with v3 both as examples and so that you can customise/extend the St. Anne's sample set easily if you want to. Hence it's the CODM version of St. Anne's that you would want to edit if you wanted to add more visible pistons on the virtual console screen.

If you want to customise a different sample set, you first need to recreate it's organ definition in CODM format. There's no automatic means to create a CODM version of an organ definition from the 'full' organ definition format (because the latter is much more complex). However, the Hauptwerk v3 CODM format is designed to be very easy to use, so it shouldn't normally take very long to recreate a sample set's organ definition in the CODM once you're familiar with the format. (In general, the v3 CODM format is intended to be easier to use than the Hauptwerk v1 format, whilst being enormously more powerful.)

2- If I use the custom organ St-Anne ODFs, do I lose the original wind model parameters?

CODM organs can have their own wind supply models (subject to the Hauptwerk edition/licence of course), as the CODM version of St. Anne's does. However, if you've used the real-time voicing facilities to fine-tune the responses of ranks/pipes in the non-CODM version of St. Anne's, then you'd need to repeat that with the CODM version because the CODM and non-CODM versions are separate organs from Hauptwerk's point of view, and so have independent settings and voicing.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)