It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:36 am

CODM woes

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

GrahamH

CODM woes

PostTue Dec 09, 2008 11:47 am

I had my "regular" StMaryClone organ saved as a "standby organ".
I just created a new Custom Organ that I called "StMaryClone02".
As far as I am aware I changed the names and the unique organ IDs in the CODM ODF and in the Installation Package Definition to distinguish between the new version and the original version.
However, when I now try to load the original standby "StMaryClone" organ, the new Custom Organ "StMaryClone02" loads instead.
And needless to say, all my stop configurations have disappeared.
I find this so depressing. Can anybody please suggest where I might be going wrong?
As a migrant from jOrgan I am still struggling to get my head round the fact that all the settings for a particular organ are not actually saved in that particular organ's ODF, and I am clearly not backing-up important material. Could somebody please explain in "HW for Dummies" terms exactly what gets saved where, and what needs to be backed up from where to where in order to avoid such disasters. Reconfiguring a 48-stop console is not exactly a two-minute exercise!
Graham

mdyde

PostTue Dec 09, 2008 11:56 am

Hello Graham,

For two CODM organs to be considered distinct by Hauptwerk you should just need to make sure that the following settings in your CODM ODFs are different for each of the two files:

_General.UniqueOrganID
_General.Name
_General.OrganDefinitionFilenameExcludingExtension

Hauptwerk saves its organ-specific user settings relative to the unique organ ID, so if you make two organs with the same ID then the settings from one will overwrite the other. Also if you make two CODM organs with the same OrganDefinitionFilenameExcludingExtension then the compiled ODF from one would overwrite the other.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

GrahamH

PostTue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Thank you, Martin.
On closer examination I see that I managed two out of three, but it's this one where I failed dismally:
Also if you make two CODM organs with the same OrganDefinitionFilenameExcludingExtension then the compiled ODF from one would overwrite the other.

Is there any chance you could make the procedure a bit more idiot-proof, Windows-style? e.g. "The Custom Organ that you are trying to load has (an identity parameter) that is already used by an existing organ. If you proceed the existing organ will be overwritten. Are you sure you wish to proceed?"
Graham

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)