It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 am

Pitch problem with CODM

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

MBar

Pitch problem with CODM

PostMon Dec 29, 2008 5:54 am

I try with CODM to convert my old “Lorris” Organ (private recording 44 kHz, 16 bits, Stereo) into HW3 file. I use for that the “ExampleCustomOrgan1” . I add a new <ObjectListObjectType="requiredinstallationpackage"> to point to the adequate package, for instance to my Lorris Bourdon. Surprisingly the pitch difference between two adjacent keys (say C2 and C#2) is always one tone, instead of a half-tone in the present case, this results for instance in a difference of 2 octaves between two successive C (Say C1 and C2). Suspecting my “Lorris file” not being correct, I replace my Lorris Bourdon stop by any Ott-Orgel stop, same problem. In contrast, replacing it by the St Maximin Cromorne 8 leads the correct pitches. Comparing the 4 types of sampling (These 3 organs + St Anne ) I do not find any explanation. I just went across, the search list in the forum, I did not find any relevant topic after a rapid survey. I presently have only a very slow connection.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 29, 2008 6:18 am

Hello,

In the Rank table in your CODM ODF, check the following entries (see also the CODM user guide for an explanation of each setting):

Samples_MIDINoteNumIncBetweenSamples = 1

Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp

You either need to have the exact correct pitch stored in the samples, or else Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp needs to be set to Y. If Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp is set to N then Hauptwerk will attempt to read the pitch from the sample files, so if they have an incorrect pitch value stored in them (in the SMPL WAV chunk) they would play at the wrong pitch.

For Hauptwerk's temperaments to be able to work Hauptwerk needs to know the exact pitch of each sample, which can either be done by tuning the samples perfectly to A-440/equal and setting Rank.Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp=Y or by storing the exact pitch in the WAV SMPL chunk and setting Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp=N.

If you haven't detected the pitches or retuned the samples then you can still set Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp=Y, which should allow them to sound at the original pitch (as Hauptwerk v1 did), when equal temperament is selected in Hauptwerk, but other temperaments will not then work properly.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MBar

PostMon Dec 29, 2008 8:57 am

Thank you Martin, a very fast answer as usual. I will check that right now.
Michel

MBar

PostMon Dec 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Not solved
Before asking your help I already checked that :
Samples_MIDINoteNumIncBetweenSamples = 1
And I tuned :
Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp=N since the StopPrepare .exe file was used to make the .wav files.
Nevertheless I tried your suggestion:
Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp=N
And whatever the setting option:
With Equal temperament
Or
with >with original tuning
I got the error message::
2008-12-29-14-53-37: ERR:5616 The rank named 'Grand Orgue:BOURDON 8' is invalid - the rank base pitch of the samples must be specified if and only if the samples are assumed to be tuned perfectly to concert pitch and equal temperament.
Attempted action [ACT:5506 Validating a custom organ rank object.]

Thank you
Michel

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 29, 2008 10:38 pm

Hello Michel,

Did you choose the option to recache the samples? If not then the previous samples will still be loaded giving the same results. In order to utilize the new changes you must recache the samples by using Desgn Options | Load Organ with design options, then choose for Hauptwerk to force the sample set cache.

Also check the log file for Stop Prepare to make sure that the pitch detection was done properly. Any errors would be reported in the log file. If you have used Stop Prepare properly then the pitch will be stored as meta data within the .wav file and the log file will report the pitch and other information. Then it should just be a matter of recaching the samples for the new changes to take effect.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

MBar

PostTue Dec 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Problem solved,
I re-worked the .wav file with Stop Prepare, and now everything is OK,
Thanks Brett and happy new yar!
Michel

mdyde

PostWed Dec 31, 2008 10:54 am

Hello Michel,

I got the error message::
2008-12-29-14-53-37: ERR:5616 The rank named 'Grand Orgue:BOURDON 8' is invalid - the rank base pitch of the samples must be specified if and only if the samples are assumed to be tuned perfectly to concert pitch and equal temperament.
Attempted action [ACT:5506 Validating a custom organ rank object.]

For reference, that just means that if you set Rank.Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp=N then you must leave Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch blank (the latter setting is only meaningful/required if Rank.Samples_AssumeTunedToConcertPitchAndEqualTemp=Y).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MBar

PostTue Jan 06, 2009 11:07 am

Hello Martin,
A bit slow thank. Actually I was away for a few days.
Michel

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)