It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:01 am

Custom Organ Design Rank Midi Values

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

David Baldwin

Custom Organ Design Rank Midi Values

PostFri Feb 20, 2009 3:09 am

I have just started using the custom design module by using the first custom example. I have added a range of pedal stops which I can select and play. What I can't do is select them through the midi port and am unclear where they are defined. I chose to use a stop code that included the midi number. So my first stop was 2036. However if I change this 2001 or 2002 it works. Can some explain this to me. I have been stuck for some days.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostFri Feb 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Hello David,

Can you clarify what you mean by 'select them through the midi port'? Do you mean that you can't turn the stop switch on/off via MIDI from a MIDI draw-knob/tab/piston?

The stop codes are predefined according to their roles in the CODM, so for example a stop code of 2001 *means* the first stop on the pedal division. I.e. the stop code value itself tells Hauptwerk how to make the stop behave/respond and which combinations will control/capture it. If you instead set the stop code to 2036 then you're instead telling Hauptwerk to make it respond as the 36th stop on the Pedal.

So it's very important that you set each stop code exactly as defined in the CODM user's guide according to what you want the stop to do - if you set them to arbitrary values they won't behave as you expect. The full list of stop codes is on page 115 of the current version of the guide (v1.11 for v3.20):

http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/Documentat ... rGuide.pdf
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

David Baldwin

PostFri Feb 20, 2009 5:07 pm

I was trying to test whether I could turn the stops on and off through the midi channel. I have now realised that the stopcode not only defines the manual but also the midi value that changes that stop. The latter was not clear to me from the manual. I assumed that the stopcode only defined the manual but have now discovered that it also defines the midi stop value.

Thanks for your reply but I have really struggled with this one.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

PostFri Feb 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Hello David,

That's not quite the full story, in that the stop code alone doesn't determine the MIDI message it responds to - it just determines the switch MIDI input entry (General settings | Switch (MIDI) inputs) it will get mapped to by default on the 'Organ settings | Connect switch (MIDI) inputs to organ switches' screen when you (first) load the organ. Since it's only a default, you can override that mapping using the latter screen, and of course you can also change the MIDI messages to be whatever you want on the former.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)